1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimisation using calculus

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    REFER TO IMAGE

2. Relevant equations
    SEE ABOVE

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't been able to start this question. I'm wondering how to find the 'average cost per unit'.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the definition of 'average'?

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    I'm aware of what average means, though how would I find it with calculus? That, I'm not familiar with. I've done averages with actual numbers, not variables. Should I first differentiate it or do something else?

5. Mar 21, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

If it costs C to build x units, what is the cost per unit?

6. Mar 21, 2013 #5
    Your asking me what the question is asking in a simplified manner. I'm asking how to find the average. I'm unfamiliar with finding it with function specified.

7. Mar 21, 2013 #6

DrClaude

I'm just trying to get you to find the answer yourself. Put it in numbers if it helps.

If it costs $100 to build 10 units, what is the cost per unit?
    If it costs $50 to build 1000 units, what is the cost per unit?

How do you solve those? Can you use your solution to find how to express generally (in terms of C and x) the average cost?

8. Mar 21, 2013 #7
    Wouldn't there be a relationship, so I would first have to differentiate it? Thus, that function would then be the one for the average cost per unit?

But it's asking for an actual value for x, which is throwing me off. Would I need to follow common procedure like other optimisation questions?

9. Mar 21, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the given const function, what would be the total cost of x units? What would be the corresponding cost per unit? (Forget the word 'average'; just look at the cost per unit).

10. Mar 21, 2013 #9
    Will it be x^3 or cubed x?, since the function is "wrapped" to ^3?

11. Mar 21, 2013 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which message/question are you responding to? Please use the correct "response" panel.

12. Mar 21, 2013 #11

DrClaude

Forget about the equation. We need to take one step back. Please start with answering post #6.

13. Mar 21, 2013 #12
    @Ray

Sorry I'm on the iPad at the moment, so I can't just do that. I forgot to use the alternative.

I was replying to you.

14. Mar 21, 2013 #13
    @DrClaude

I don't now how to find an actual value of x when there's only one real number in the equation: 10?

15. Mar 21, 2013 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you not seeing? If x = 2, what is the total cost? What is the cost per unit? If x = 10 what are the total cost and cost per unit? If x = 7 what are the total cost and the cost per unit? If x = 25 what are the total cost and the cost per unit?

If you can figure out the cost per unit when the value of x is given, just do the same thing when the value of x is not given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted