1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization: Beam of maximum strength

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    first off here is the problem
    :18. A rectangular beam is cut from a cylindrical log of radius 30 cm. The strength of a beam of width w and height h is proportional to . Find the width and height of the beam of maximum strength.
    so I have a diagram of it but im having troubles setting up the problem. But i just cant figure out how to set it up. I think that one of the equations i need would be (h*w)/(wh^2) not sure if thats right and then for the sides i figure you have to use the pythagorean identity to get h=(30^2-w^2)^(1/2) from here im lost and have obviously given up hope of solving it on my own. P.S. i absoulutly hate this stupid huges-huallete/wiley single variable calc book, the book suck, or mybee i do.

- wel im still staring at the problem and this time i came up with something new. I though mybe i was reading the proportional part wrong and that mybee (w*h^2) is the proportion and that all i need it the deriv of that maximized at 0 then plug in h=(30^2-w^2)^(1/2) to figure out where the height is maximized. i also added some work so you all dont just think im a lazy bastard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?