Optimization Code

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

OK, here is the situation.

I am supposed to write optimization code in Matlab to determine which of two missions an airplane should perform. There are three total, but one of them has been decided on. So I need to determine which of the other two I should do.

The problem is that I have never written this type of code before, so I have no clue what to do.

Could someone give me a good resource I can use as a starting point to writing this code?

Answers and Replies

um i think you need to put parameters/variables/criterion that your using so that people can be more descriptive. ie is it a airplane path like TSP/Hcycles problem?

ok, I need to minimize the weight as much as i can.

one mission involved flying up to 10 liters of water, and is scored by number of laps completed ^2, ie 5 laps = 25 for score

the other is carry 96 tennis balls for 2 minutes, and this can be any number, as long as all 96 fly. scored by 1/RAC where RAC = airframe + battery weight.

The plane already will carry 48 tennis balls and 4 liters of water.

There is an optimization function built in.

What you want to do is define a goal function. The matlab function will
minimize that goal function (If you want to maximize it, put a minus sign in front
of it.)

Then there are some number of unknowns. You goal function is a function of the
unknowns and matlab will find particular values for the unknowns so that the
goal function is a minimum.

Try "help fminsearch"

thanks!!!

is fminsearch in standard matlab or is it in a toolbox?

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... if you have the optimization toolbox then you've a number of great tools available. Fminsearch is for unconstrained nonlinear optimization and is a standard function.

ok thanks.

sounds like i may want to consider using the optimization toolbox, especially because i need this code done in two weeks.

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... and depending on the degree of nonlinearity and in case you've 'complex' constraints you may have to implement, the optimization toolbox rules.