Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization Code

1. Aug 19, 2005 #1
    OK, here is the situation.

I am supposed to write optimization code in Matlab to determine which of two missions an airplane should perform. There are three total, but one of them has been decided on. So I need to determine which of the other two I should do.

The problem is that I have never written this type of code before, so I have no clue what to do.

Could someone give me a good resource I can use as a starting point to writing this code?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2005 #2
    um i think you need to put parameters/variables/criterion that your using so that people can be more descriptive. ie is it a airplane path like TSP/Hcycles problem?

4. Aug 19, 2005 #3
    ok, I need to minimize the weight as much as i can.

one mission involved flying up to 10 liters of water, and is scored by number of laps completed ^2, ie 5 laps = 25 for score

the other is carry 96 tennis balls for 2 minutes, and this can be any number, as long as all 96 fly. scored by 1/RAC where RAC = airframe + battery weight.

The plane already will carry 48 tennis balls and 4 liters of water.

5. Aug 19, 2005 #4
    There is an optimization function built in.

What you want to do is define a goal function. The matlab function will
    minimize that goal function (If you want to maximize it, put a minus sign in front
    of it.)

Then there are some number of unknowns. You goal function is a function of the
    unknowns and matlab will find particular values for the unknowns so that the
    goal function is a minimum.

Try "help fminsearch"

6. Aug 19, 2005 #5
    thanks!!!

is fminsearch in standard matlab or is it in a toolbox?

7. Aug 20, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... if you have the optimization toolbox then you've a number of great tools available. Fminsearch is for unconstrained nonlinear optimization and is a standard function.

8. Aug 20, 2005 #7
    ok thanks.

sounds like i may want to consider using the optimization toolbox, especially because i need this code done in two weeks.

9. Aug 20, 2005 #8

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... and depending on the degree of nonlinearity and in case you've 'complex' constraints you may have to implement, the optimization toolbox rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?