1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization help!

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    The problem states: The trough in the figure is to be made to the dimensions shown. Only the angle theta can be varied. What value of theta will maximize the troughs volume?

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5963/24ni3.jpg [Broken] (There is an image of the problem)

I know the height in terms of theta is h/1 = h

So the cross sectional area is

1/2(h)(1)sin(theta) = 1/2 cos(theta)sin(theta)

This is as far as I have gotten. I don't even know if this is right. Please help!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    I dont know the procedure but i can say this:
    Area of a triangle = (1/2)h(x). You have two triangles so Area = h(x). 'x' is the base of triangle and h is height. Now you have some portion in-between the two triangles and its area = h.
    So final area of the cross section is = [tex]h(x+1)[/tex].
    Consider one triangle and we have by Pythagoras law:
    [tex]x^2+h^2=1[/tex] and [tex]\sin\theta=x[/tex] so [tex]h^2=1-\sin^2\theta[/tex].
    Now Area becomes = [tex]h(1+\sin\theta)=(1+\sin\theta)\sqrt{(1-\sin^2\theta)}[/tex]. [Note: in this relation you have only angle].
    Finally you get:
    Area = [tex]\cos\theta(1+\sin\theta)[/tex].
    This is all what i got. I think may be you have to solve for the area such that area becomes maximum.
    Actually i don't know how to solve using formula..but by plotting i guess it is << answer deleted by berkeman >>
    hope this helps.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  4. Apr 27, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

Rajini, please take care not to do too much of the OP's work for them, and please do not post answers. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook