How Do You Determine the Minimum Rope Length Between Two Poles?

In summary: PQ^2+x^2}}+\frac{-L+x}{\sqrt{ST^2+(L-x)^2}}This is how you find the derivative of a function. You substitute the function into the equation, and then use the derivative to find the change in the function as a result of a change in one of the inputs.
suspenc3
two vertical poles PQ and ST are secured by a rope PRS going from the top of the first pole to a Point R on the ground to the top of the second polle. Show that the shortest length of rope occurs when [tex]\theta_1=\theta_2[/tex]

I have found eqn and found the derivative, what do I do to show that it is a min?

Physics news on Phys.org
Post a copy of your equation and the derivative. Your equation should show the length of the rope as a function of theta_1 (or theta_2 if you prefer, or whatever). For there to be a minimum length, the length equation will show that the length L starts at some value, then decreases some up to some point, and then increases from there to the end. If you think about drawing the function L as a funtion of theta (put L on the vertical and theta on the horizontal), the function L(theta) will look like a "U", right? When you differentiate L(theta) with respect to theta, what is special about the low point in the L(theta) curve? What can you say about the sign of the derivative for the first part of the U versus the end of the U? What must the derivative do at the bottom of the U as the sign of the derivative is changing from negative to positive?

suspenc3 said:
two vertical poles PQ and ST are secured by a rope PRS going from the top of the first pole to a Point R on the ground to the top of the second polle. Show that the shortest length of rope occurs when [tex]\theta_1=\theta_2[/tex]

I have found eqn and found the derivative, what do I do to show that it is a min?

Have you already found the critical points? The points where that make the first derivative zero or undefined. Then to show that there is a minimum at a critical point you can either evaluate the second derivative at that point and if it is positive then there is a minimum, or look at the value of the derivative on both sides of the critical point and if it is negative for values smaller than the the value of the critical point and positive for values larger then you have a minimum.

[tex]L_{tot}=L_1+L_2[/tex]
[tex]L=QRT, L_1=PR, L_2=RS, x=QR, \theta_1=PRQ, \theta_2=SRT[/tex]
[tex]x=L_1cos(\theta_1)[/tex]
[tex]L-x=L_2cos(\theta_2)[/tex]

so...[tex]\sqrt{(PQ)^2+x^2}=L_1[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{(ST)^2+(RT)^2}=L_2[/tex]

then find [tex]L_{tot}[/tex] and find the derivative..i find this even more confusing now

Last edited:
Sorry, I got lost there. I'd be inclined to keep L in terms of theta, as the problem is asking you to prove something about theta_1 and theta_2, so you'll have to end up there anyway. Can you maybe re-write the equations starting out something like:

[tex] Let L = QRT, l_1 = PR, l_2 = RS, x = QR, \theta_1 = PRQ, \theta_2 = SRT [/tex]

[tex]x = l_1 cos(\theta_1) [/tex]

[tex]L - x = l_2 cos(\theta_2) [/tex]

[tex]l_total = l_1 + l_2 = ... [/tex]

i edited my above, i find this more confusing now though

suspenc3 said:
i edited my above, i find this more confusing now though
Well, maybe it -- sorry if it is. But go ahead and solve it anyway. Change RT --> L-x, do the addition and differentiation, set to zero and solve for x. Hopefully L and PQ and ST will fall out of the equations...

so my derivative is:

[tex]l_{tot}= \frac{x}{\sqrt{P^2Q^2+x^2}}+\frac{-1+x}{\sqrt{S^2T^2+L^2-2Lx+x^2}}[/tex]..now i just solve for x?

yyyyyyeah..theres a ton of letters, I don't think they are all going to cancel out.

Last edited:
That's not Ltot, it's the derivative of Ltot with respect to x (well except for a couple factor of 2 issues). So it is L'tot, and you would set that equal to zero to find out what the x value is for the minimum, and then figure out the angles from the x. I agree it looks messy at the moment -- maybe there's an easier formulation...

suspenc3 said:
so my derivative is:

[tex]l_{tot}= \frac{x}{\sqrt{P^2Q^2+x^2}}+\frac{-1+x}{\sqrt{S^2T^2+L^2-2Lx+x^2}}[/tex]..now i just solve for x?

yyyyyyeah..theres a ton of letters, I don't think they are all going to cancel out.
P, Q, S and T are not variables. You can't separate P & Q and write PQ^2 = P^2Q^2 - that is meaningless.

So what you should have is:
[tex]dl_{tot}/dt = \frac{x}{\sqrt{PQ^2+x^2}}+\frac{-L+x}{\sqrt{ST^2+(L-x)^2}} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\implies \frac{x}{\sqrt{PQ^2+x^2}} = \frac{L-x}{\sqrt{ST^2+(L-x)^2}} [/tex]

Square both sides (don't bother expanding the square of (L-x)) and cross multiply...and answer pops out in hardly a couple of steps.

1. What is optimization and why is it important?

Optimization is the process of finding the best possible solution or outcome given a set of constraints. In other words, it involves maximizing or minimizing a specific objective while considering any limitations or restrictions. It is important because it helps in making informed decisions and improving efficiency in various fields such as engineering, economics, and operations management.

2. What are the common methods for solving optimization problems?

Some of the common methods for solving optimization problems include linear programming, nonlinear programming, dynamic programming, and genetic algorithms. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

3. How do you formulate an optimization problem?

To formulate an optimization problem, you need to define the objective function, which represents the quantity to be optimized. Then, you need to identify the decision variables, which are the values that can be changed to achieve the optimal solution. Additionally, you need to specify any constraints or limitations that must be considered in finding the optimal solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of optimization?

Optimization has numerous real-world applications, such as optimizing production processes in manufacturing, optimizing transportation routes for logistics companies, optimizing investment portfolios, and optimizing energy consumption in buildings. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence to train models and improve their performance.

5. What are some challenges in solving optimization problems?

Some common challenges in solving optimization problems include determining the most appropriate method to use, dealing with large amounts of data, and handling nonlinear relationships and complex constraints. Additionally, the optimal solution may change over time, so it is important to constantly re-evaluate and update the solution.