Optimization: Minimizing Cost

In summary, the problem involves determining the optimal inventory size of light bulbs for a hardware store to minimize costs. The store sells 10,000 bulbs per year and has a carrying cost of $40/1000 bulbs and a variable reorder cost of $24/1000 bulbs. In order to determine the yearly ordering cost, we need to find the number of times we need to order 1000 bulbs. This can be solved by setting up the equation 1000x = 10000, where x represents the number of orders. The cost for ordering 1000 bulbs is $36, so the yearly ordering cost is $36x. The average inventory is x/2 (thousand) bulbs, meaning the carrying cost is $
rum2563

Homework Statement

A hardware store sells approximately 10 000 light bulbs a year. The owner wishes to determine how large an inventory of x (thousand) bulbs should be kept to minimize the cost for inventory. The carrying cost for the bulbs is $40/1000 while the paperwork for ordering is $12 per order. The variable reorder costs are $24/1000

a) If x (thousand) bulbs are ordered each time, find the yearly cost for ordering the 10 000 bulbs into inventory.
b) On the average his inventory is x/2 (thousand) bulbs. Find the total cost for inventory.
c) Find the size of each order to minimize the cost for inventory.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did:
$40/1000 = x/10 000
x= $400

Then, the formula which I developed was [tex]400 +[/tex][tex]\frac{12(10000)}{x}[/tex]

Please help me out and let me know if I am on the right track. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the formula for what? It makes no sense at all to write a formula without saying what it is equal to!

(a) asks for "ordering cost". That has nothing to do with "carrying cost" (the cost of storing the light bulbs after they arrive).

(a) If you need 10000 light bulbs and you order them 1000x at a time, how many times do you have to order? If each order cost $12, how much will those orders cost?

(b) Inventory (carrying cost) is $40 per 1000 light bulb stored. If you store, on average, (x/2)(1000) light bulbs, how much will that cost?

(c) Find x that minimizes the total of (a) and (b).

Thank you for your response HallsofIvy. Actually, that was my mistake for not reading the question properly. Your extended details have allowed me to grasp the question better.

For part a, we have to order 10 000 bulbs. To find out how many times we have to order, we put: 1000x = 10 000. Then, we get x = 10.

To find out the cost for ordering 10 times, we multiply this by $12. So the cost ordering 10 000 bulbs into the inventory is $120.

For part b, I understand that we have to find the total cost for inventory. We know that there are (x/2)1000 = 500x bulbs in the inventory. The cost for storing is $40/1000. So I think that we multiply $40 by 500x and divide by thousand to get the cost.

40/1000 = x/500x

But at this point I get confused. Please help. Thanks.

I really need this since it is due very soon. Please help I need this. Thanks.

rum2563 said:
For part a, we have to order 10 000 bulbs. To find out how many times we have to order, we put: 1000x = 10 000. Then, we get x = 10.
x is a variable, so you don't know x=10. Your job here is to solve for x. Hint: The answer to part (a) should have x in it.

To find out the cost for ordering 10 times, we multiply this by $12. So the cost ordering 10 000 bulbs into the inventory is $120.
You are ignoring the cost of the light bulbs. The cost to order 1000 light bulbs is $24/1000*1000 + $12 = $36. For 2000 light bulbs, the cost is $24/1000*2000 + $12 = $60. For 3000 bulbs, it is ...

For part b, I understand that we have to find the total cost for inventory. We know that there are (x/2)1000 = 500x bulbs in the inventory.
Again, you do not know x.
40/1000 = x/500x

That's because you assigned a value to x up front when you shouldn't have done that.

rum2563 said:
Thank you for your response HallsofIvy. Actually, that was my mistake for not reading the question properly. Your extended details have allowed me to grasp the question better.

NO! you do not order 1000 bulbs x times, you order 1000x bulbs how many times?
What is 10000/(1000x)?

Yes, it is 12 times the number of times you order: but that is NOT 10! And don't forget that the "variable reorder costs are $24/1000". In addition to the cost of the paper work, you must pay $24 for each 1000 bulbs and so how much for x thousand bulbs?

For part b, I understand that we have to find the total cost for inventory. We know that there are (x/2)1000 = 500x bulbs in the inventory. The cost for storing is $40/1000. So I think that we multiply $40 by 500x and divide by thousand to get the cost.

40/1000 = x/500x
You said "multiply $40 by 500x and divide by thousand". Why didn't you do that?

1. What is optimization and why is it important in minimizing cost?

Optimization is the process of finding the best solution to a problem within a given set of constraints. In the context of minimizing cost, optimization involves determining the most cost-effective way to achieve a desired outcome. This is important because it allows for efficient use of resources and can ultimately lead to increased profitability.

2. How do you identify the key cost factors in an optimization problem?

The key cost factors in an optimization problem can vary depending on the specific situation. However, they typically include factors such as labor, materials, transportation, and overhead costs. It is important to carefully analyze and identify these factors in order to develop an effective optimization strategy.

3. What are some common techniques for minimizing cost in optimization?

There are several techniques that can be used to minimize cost in optimization, including linear programming, dynamic programming, and gradient descent. Each technique has its own strengths and weaknesses, and the best approach will depend on the specific problem at hand.

4. How do you balance cost minimization with other objectives in an optimization problem?

In many cases, cost minimization is not the only objective in an optimization problem. Other objectives may include maximizing efficiency, minimizing risk, or achieving a certain level of quality. Balancing these objectives can be challenging, but it is important to consider all factors in order to find the best overall solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of optimization in minimizing cost?

Optimization is widely used in various industries to minimize cost and improve efficiency. Some examples include supply chain management, production planning, financial portfolio management, and transportation routing. It can also be applied to everyday tasks, such as meal planning and budgeting, to minimize costs and save time.