1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization modeling

1. Nov 1, 2004 #1
    a landscape architect plans to enclose a 3000 square foot rectangular region in a botanical garden. She will use shrubs costing $25 per foot along three sides and fencing costing $10 per foot along the fourth side. Find the minimum total cost.

I started off this problem by finding the lenght of the sides:
    Then i determined that the total cost would be the cost of the lenght + cost of the width.

I am totally lost on this problem....
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just break it down using the information you have:

[tex]Cost = 25(2L+W) + 10W[/tex]

[tex]W = \frac {3000}{L}[/tex]

Then minimize the cost in the usual way.
  4. Nov 2, 2004 #3
    hey thanx for your help tide, u just allowed me to take a deeeeeep breath, whewwww. oh btw, how do u write with those mathematical fonts?
  5. Nov 2, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you click on one of the equations a popup will show how that specific equation was created but it also has a link to a file you can download showing all the codes you need to enter to make just about any kind of equation you want!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?