1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization of Coulomb's Law

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    Question:
    Of the charge Q initially on a tiny sphere, a portion q is to be transferred to a second, nearby sphere. Both spheres can be treated a particles. For what value of q/Q>0.5 will the electrostatic force between the two parts have 1/5 of the maximum possible value?

Attempt:
    F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2
    dF/dq = (k/r^2) d/dq(Qq - q^2)
    = (k/r^2)(Q-2q) = 0
    Q - 2q = 0
    q = (1/2)Q --> Thus, this will give me the maximum electrostatic force between the two particles. However, the question is asking about the situation where it is 1/5 of the maximum value.

So,
    F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2, and using q = (1/2)Q or 2q = Q,
    F/5 = [k(2q - q)(q)] / 5r^2
    = (kq^2) / 5r^2 --> This is 1/5 of the maximum force.

Thus, to find q/Q:
    F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2 = (kq^2) / 5r^2 and I found q/Q to be 0.83333. This answer is wrong, however. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Mixing symbols a bit

F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2 should be 1/5 of k(Q/2)^2) / r^2

The force with the different charges, is only 1/5th of the force with the equal [half the original] charges

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

By writing 2q = Q you're forcing a particular value upon q rather than solving for a new one.

Suppose that fmax is the maximum force, and f is the force you're looking for. Then the desired condition is:
    [tex]\frac{f}{f_{max}} = \frac{1}{5}[/tex]
    But you've already determined that
    [tex] f = k \frac{(Q - q)(q)}{r^2} [/tex]
    and
    [tex] f_{max} = k \frac{Q^2}{4 r^2}[/tex]
    Use both of these expressions to set up the ratio and solve for the 'new' q.

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4
    I did F / Fmax and still got the answer to be 0.833333.

6. Sep 4, 2011 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you show your work?

7. Sep 4, 2011 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want q*(Q-q) = (1/5)*{max of q*(Q-q)} = (1/5)*(1/2 Q)^2 = Q^2/20, so if x = q/Q you want x(1-x) = 1/20.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook