Optimization of Coulomb's Law

In summary, when q is 1/2 of the original charge on a tiny sphere, the electrostatic force between the two parts will be 1/5 of the maximum possible value.
eurekameh
Question:
Of the charge Q initially on a tiny sphere, a portion q is to be transferred to a second, nearby sphere. Both spheres can be treated a particles. For what value of q/Q>0.5 will the electrostatic force between the two parts have 1/5 of the maximum possible value?

Attempt:
F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2
dF/dq = (k/r^2) d/dq(Qq - q^2)
= (k/r^2)(Q-2q) = 0
Q - 2q = 0
q = (1/2)Q --> Thus, this will give me the maximum electrostatic force between the two particles. However, the question is asking about the situation where it is 1/5 of the maximum value.

So,
F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2, and using q = (1/2)Q or 2q = Q,
F/5 = [k(2q - q)(q)] / 5r^2
= (kq^2) / 5r^2 --> This is 1/5 of the maximum force.

Thus, to find q/Q:
F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2 = (kq^2) / 5r^2 and I found q/Q to be 0.83333. This answer is wrong, however. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
eurekameh said:
Question:
Of the charge Q initially on a tiny sphere, a portion q is to be transferred to a second, nearby sphere. Both spheres can be treated a particles. For what value of q/Q>0.5 will the electrostatic force between the two parts have 1/5 of the maximum possible value?

Attempt:
F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2
= (k/r^2)(Q-2q) = 0
Q - 2q = 0
q = (1/2)Q --> Thus, this will give me the maximum electrostatic force between the two particles. However, the question is asking about the situation where it is 1/5 of the maximum value.

So,

Thus, to find q/Q:
F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2 = (kq^2) / 5r^2 and I found q/Q to be 0.83333. This answer is wrong, however. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mixing symbols a bit

F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2 should be 1/5 of k(Q/2)^2) / r^2

The force with the different charges, is only 1/5th of the force with the equal [half the original] charges

By writing 2q = Q you're forcing a particular value upon q rather than solving for a new one.

Suppose that fmax is the maximum force, and f is the force you're looking for. Then the desired condition is:
[tex]\frac{f}{f_{max}} = \frac{1}{5}[/tex]
But you've already determined that
[tex] f = k \frac{(Q - q)(q)}{r^2} [/tex]
and
[tex] f_{max} = k \frac{Q^2}{4 r^2}[/tex]
Use both of these expressions to set up the ratio and solve for the 'new' q.

I did F / Fmax and still got the answer to be 0.833333.

eurekameh said:
I did F / Fmax and still got the answer to be 0.833333.

Can you show your work?

eurekameh said:
Question:

Attempt:
F = [ k(Q-q)(q) ] / r^2
= (k/r^2)(Q-2q) = 0
Q - 2q = 0

So,

Thus, to find q/Q:

You want q*(Q-q) = (1/5)*{max of q*(Q-q)} = (1/5)*(1/2 Q)^2 = Q^2/20, so if x = q/Q you want x(1-x) = 1/20.

RGV

What is Coulomb's Law and why is it important?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of charged particles, which is essential in fields such as electromagnetism, electronics, and chemistry.

What is optimization of Coulomb's Law?

Optimization of Coulomb's Law involves finding the most efficient way to calculate the forces between multiple charged particles. This is important because as the number of charged particles increases, the calculations become more complex and time-consuming. Optimization techniques help us reduce the computational time and resources needed to solve these problems.

What are some common optimization techniques used for Coulomb's Law?

Some common optimization techniques for Coulomb's Law include using parallel computing, approximations, and numerical methods such as the Fast Multipole Method (FMM). These techniques help us reduce the computational time and resources needed to calculate the forces between charged particles.

How does optimization of Coulomb's Law impact scientific research and technology?

The optimization of Coulomb's Law has a significant impact on scientific research and technology. It allows us to solve complex problems involving multiple charged particles quickly and efficiently, which is crucial in fields such as molecular dynamics simulations, protein folding, and semiconductor technology. Without optimization, these calculations would take much longer to complete, hindering progress in these areas.

Are there any limitations to optimization of Coulomb's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to optimization of Coulomb's Law. Some optimization techniques may introduce errors or approximations, which could affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, some problems may involve complex geometries or non-uniform charge distributions, making it challenging to optimize the calculations. As with any optimization, there is a trade-off between speed and accuracy, and it is essential to carefully consider the limitations when using optimization techniques for Coulomb's Law.