Optimizing Coffee Blends with Linear Programming

In summary, in order to maximize profit, the coffee firm should use the variables x1 and x2 which represent the number of tonnes of premium blend and economy blend respectively. The profit per tonne for premium blend is $80 and for economy blend is $120. The firm should produce 60 tonnes of premium blend and 40 tonnes of economy blend to maximize its profit, which would be $9,200.
rez123

Homework Statement

A coffee firm sells "Premium blend" and "Economy blend" co ffee. Both are blended
from three basic grades of coffee, A, B and C:
Premium blend = 50% A + 40% B + 10% C
Economy blend = 10% A + 40% B + 50% C
The market prices are $1130/tonne for Premium and $750/tonne for Economy. One
week the firm is given the option of buying up to 100 tonnes of grade A at $1000/tonne,
120 tonnes of grade B at $500/tonne and 100 tonnes of grade C at $300/tonne. Calculate
the pro fit per tonne of each blend of coffee. How much of each blend should the firm
produce to maximize its profit and what is the maximum profit?

Homework Equations

i know it is a linear programming problem

The Attempt at a Solution

Since i think it is a linear programming problem, i tried to solve it by using a Standard "table". so i got:

so let x1=be the number of tonnes of coffee A
x2= be the number of tonnes of coffee B
x3= be the number of tonnes of coffee C
then, Z= x1 + 0.5 x2 + 0.3 x3

And Z is subject to:
0.5 x1 + 0.4 x2 + 0.1 x3 >= NOT SURE HERE
0.1 x1 + 0.4 x2 + 0.5 x3 >= NOT SURE HERE
i am not sure how to continue, any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
rez123 said:

Homework Statement

A coffee firm sells "Premium blend" and "Economy blend" coffee. Both are blended
week the firm is given the option of buying up to 100 tonnes of grade A at $1000/tonne,
120 tonnes of grade B at $500/tonne and 100 tonnes of grade C at $300/tonne. Calculate
the profit per tonne of each blend of coffee. How much of each blend should the firm

Homework Equations

Since i think it is a linear programming problem, i tried to solve it by using a Standard "table". so i got:

The goal is to maximize profit, for which I recommend using the letter P instead of Z.

They sell two grades of coffee, premium and economy. How much does it cost the company to make a tonne of premium coffee? How much to make a tonne of economy coffee? What is their profit on a tonne of premium coffee? economy coffee?
rez123 said:
And Z is subject to:

rez123 said:

Homework Statement

A coffee firm sells "Premium blend" and "Economy blend" co ffee. Both are blended
the pro fit per tonne of each blend of coffee. How much of each blend should the firm

Homework Equations

And Z is subject to:

Back when I was teaching this stuff, I always said to students: to figure out what the "right" variables are in a problem, ask yourself: if you are the manager, what do you need to know in order to ensure everybody can go and do their jobs?

You say you want to choose tonnes of A, B and C as variables. Will this do the job? Suppose I tell you to buy 4 T of A, 4 T of B and 5T of C. Do you now know everything you need to know? NO! You do not. What will you DO with those 4T of A? How will you use the 4T of B?, etc. Knowing the amounts of A, B and B does not help you, so those are not the "right" variables. Suppose, instead, you know the number of T of premium blend and economy blend to make. Is that enough? Now the answer is YES, because now you can figure out how much of A, B and C you will need, what are the costs and what will be the profit. So, those variables are appropriate.

RGV

Thank you this has really helped and i appreciate it!

1. How do you define optimization of equations?

Optimization of equations is the process of finding the maximum or minimum value of a given mathematical expression, subject to certain constraints. It involves using mathematical techniques and algorithms to determine the best possible solution for a given problem.

2. What is the purpose of optimizing equations?

The purpose of optimizing equations is to find the most efficient and effective solution to a problem. This can help improve processes, reduce costs, and save time in various fields including engineering, economics, and computer science.

3. What are the common techniques used for optimizing equations?

Some common techniques used for optimizing equations include gradient descent, linear programming, and dynamic programming. Other techniques such as genetic algorithms, simulated annealing, and particle swarm optimization can also be used depending on the problem at hand.

4. Can you optimize any type of equation?

No, not all equations can be optimized. Only equations that have a defined objective function and constraints can be optimized. Additionally, the equation must be continuous and differentiable in order for most optimization techniques to be applicable.

5. How do you know when an equation has been optimized?

An equation is considered optimized when the maximum or minimum value of the objective function has been found, and all the constraints have been satisfied. This can be determined by checking if the gradient of the objective function is equal to zero, or if the solution satisfies all the necessary conditions for optimality.