Optimize Kite Area: Find x for Max Area

• Thread starter awladdurrah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the area of the kite is given by the function A(x) = x*(sqrt16-x^2) + (sqrt4-x^2). The length of each of the cross-pieces that will be used to maximize the area of the kite should be 2x.
awladdurrah
My job is to maximize the area of the kite so that it will fly better, faster, higher. A kite frame is to be made from six pieces of wood. The four pieces that form its border have been cut the lengths. So one of the top border is 2 cm long and the bottom border is 4 cm. The total border length is 2+2+4+4=12 cm (a) Show that the area of the kite is given by the function A(x) = x*(sqrt16-x^2) + (sqrt4-x^2).
(b) How long should each of the cross-pieces to be maximize the area of the kite?
For question a, please see my work as follows:-
I have express the top portion of the vertical cross piece as Y and the bottom cross piece as Z. The horizontal cross pieces expressed as 2x.

So, Y^2=2^2-x^2 therefore Y=sqrt(4-x^2), and the for Z=sqrt(16-x^2)
Therefore the A(x)=x[sqrt(16-x^2) + sqrt(4-x^2)]
The derivative of the expression d/dx is x(sqrt(16-x^2)+sqrt(4-x^2)
da/dx=-x^2/sqrt(16-x^2)+sqrt(16-x^2)(1)+1(sqrt(4-x^2)-x^2/sqrt(4-x^2)
From this derivative tried to find x but I couldn't get.
My last simplified was this=-x^2sqrt(4-x^2)+(16-x^2)*sqrt(4-x^2)+1(4-x^2)*sqrt(16-x^2)-x^2*sqrt(16-x^2)
Once I know the value of x, I can solve the 2nd part (b) by my self.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x.jpg

Thats what I get when I shove the last line into some software. So I am guessing that you have went wrong somewhere... Unfotunately its too late at night for me to think clearly. This is just a heads up.

awladdurrah said:
My job is to maximize the area of the kite so that it will fly better, faster, higher. A kite frame is to be made from six pieces of wood. The four pieces that form its border have been cut the lengths. So one of the top border is 2 cm long and the bottom border is 4 cm. The total border length is 2+2+4+4=12 cm (a) Show that the area of the kite is given by the function A(x) = x*(sqrt16-x^2) + (sqrt4-x^2).
(b) How long should each of the cross-pieces to be maximize the area of the kite?
For question a, please see my work as follows:-
I have express the top portion of the vertical cross piece as Y and the bottom cross piece as Z. The horizontal cross pieces expressed as 2x.

So, Y^2=2^2-x^2 therefore Y=sqrt(4-x^2), and the for Z=sqrt(16-x^2)
Therefore the A(x)=x[sqrt(16-x^2) + sqrt(4-x^2)]
The derivative of the expression d/dx is x(sqrt(16-x^2)+sqrt(4-x^2)
da/dx=-x^2/sqrt(16-x^2)+sqrt(16-x^2)(1)+1(sqrt(4-x^2)-x^2/sqrt(4-x^2)
From this derivative tried to find x but I couldn't get.
My last simplified was this=-x^2sqrt(4-x^2)+(16-x^2)*sqrt(4-x^2)+1(4-x^2)*sqrt(16-x^2)-x^2*sqrt(16-x^2)
Once I know the value of x, I can solve the 2nd part (b) by my self.

Your expression for dA/dx looks fine, but I think you went wrong when you tried to simplify it.
[tex]dA/dx = -x^2 (16 - x^2)^{-1/2} + (16 - x^2)^{1/2} - x^2 (4 - x^2)^{-1/2} + (4 - x^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

From the first two expressions, pull out a factor of (16 - x^2)^(-1/2). From the last two expressions, pull out a factor of (4 - x^2)^(-1/2). You should get
[tex]dA/dx = (16 - x^2)^{-1/2}(-x^2 + 16 - x^2) + (4 - x^2)^{-1/2}(-x^2 + 4 - x^2)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{16 - 2x^2}{\sqrt{16 - x^2}} + \frac{4 - 2x^2}{\sqrt{4 - x^2}}[/tex]

Set this last expression to zero and solve for x.

1. What does "Optimize Kite Area" mean?

"Optimize Kite Area" refers to finding the maximum area that a kite can have, given a fixed perimeter. This is a common problem in mathematics and involves finding the value of x that will result in the largest possible area for a given kite.

2. How is x related to the area of a kite?

x is the length of one of the kite's sides. By varying the value of x, we can change the shape of the kite and therefore its area. The goal is to find the value of x that will result in the greatest possible area for the given perimeter.

3. Why is it important to optimize the kite area?

Optimizing the kite area allows us to maximize the space that the kite takes up while still adhering to a fixed perimeter. This can be useful in real-life applications, such as designing kites for specific wind conditions or maximizing the amount of fabric used in kite-making.

4. What is the formula for finding the area of a kite?

The formula for finding the area of a kite is A = 1/2 * x * y, where x and y are the lengths of the two diagonals of the kite. When optimizing the kite area, we are trying to find the value of x that will result in the largest possible value for A.

5. Can the "Optimize Kite Area" problem be solved using calculus?

Yes, the "Optimize Kite Area" problem can be solved using calculus. By taking the derivative of the area formula and setting it equal to 0, we can find the critical value of x that will result in the maximum area. This method is often used to solve optimization problems in mathematics.