Optimization Problem: A = l*w - Tips & Advice

In summary, the problem discusses setting up an optimization problem using a rectangle and the relevant equation A = l * w. The individual is seeking tips on how to proceed with the problem and clarifies that it is a non-integration optimization. The conversation suggests determining the dimensions of the paper and writing an equation for the area of the paper and the area where text will appear. Any additional advice on optimization is also welcomed.
Kitty Kat
The problem:
6a5e211c2333b0c4fdf530d54f61c015.png

Relevant Equations:
A = l * w

So I drew a rectangle like this:
36e9aa450e032dab13d9c3d0eaf4252e.png

And I'm not really sure how to proceed from this point.. I always have a hard time setting up the problems for optimization :/

Any tips to the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Just to clarify, this is non-integration optimization. (And any advice about optimization in general would be welcomed too!)
Thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework or textbook problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections, not in the technical math sections. I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum section.

Mark44 said:
Homework or textbook problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections, not in the technical math sections. I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum section.
Oops, I haven't been on for a while and am readjusting to the forums new style, my bad! I'll make sure to post in the correct sections next time! Thanks.

Kitty Kat said:
The problem:
6a5e211c2333b0c4fdf530d54f61c015.png

Relevant Equations:
A = l * w

So I drew a rectangle like this:
36e9aa450e032dab13d9c3d0eaf4252e.png

And I'm not really sure how to proceed from this point.. I always have a hard time setting up the problems for optimization :/

Any tips to the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Just to clarify, this is non-integration optimization. (And any advice about optimization in general would be welcomed too!)
Thankyou!
From your drawing, what are the dimensions of the piece of paper?
What equation can you write that gives the area of the piece of paper in terms of the paper dimensions?
What equation can you write that gives the area of the part of the paper where text will appear?

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the best solution from a set of possible options. The goal is to maximize or minimize a specific objective function, given a set of constraints.

2. How do you solve an optimization problem?

An optimization problem can be solved using various techniques such as linear programming, calculus, and heuristic algorithms. The specific method used will depend on the type and complexity of the problem.

3. What is A = l*w in an optimization problem?

In an optimization problem, A = l*w represents the objective function, which is the quantity that needs to be maximized or minimized. In this case, A represents the area of a rectangle with length l and width w.

4. What is the significance of l and w in an optimization problem?

In an optimization problem, l and w represent the variables that can be adjusted to find the optimal solution. These variables can also be referred to as decision variables, as they are the values that need to be determined in order to optimize the objective function.

5. What are some tips for solving an optimization problem?

Some tips for solving an optimization problem include clearly defining the objective function and constraints, choosing an appropriate method for solving the problem, and checking for multiple solutions or extreme cases. It is also important to carefully interpret the results and consider possible real-world implications.