1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization Problem

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1
    The problem:
    6a5e211c2333b0c4fdf530d54f61c015.png
    Relevant Equations:
    A = l * w

So I drew a rectangle like this:
    36e9aa450e032dab13d9c3d0eaf4252e.png
    And I'm not really sure how to proceed from this point.. I always have a hard time setting up the problems for optimization :/

Any tips to the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Just to clarify, this is non-integration optimization. (And any advice about optimization in general would be welcomed too!)
    Thankyou!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Homework or textbook problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections, not in the technical math sections. I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum section.

4. Oct 7, 2014 #3
    Oops, I haven't been on for a while and am readjusting to the forums new style, my bad! I'll make sure to post in the correct sections next time! Thanks.

5. Oct 7, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From your drawing, what are the dimensions of the piece of paper?
    What equation can you write that gives the area of the piece of paper in terms of the paper dimensions?
    What equation can you write that gives the area of the part of the paper where text will appear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted