Optimizing Rural Gothic Window Frame: Problem Solving

• Thread starter IgniteFlare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a frame for a rural gothic style window with equilateral triangle ABC. The window must fit inside a space 1m wide and 3m high, and the dimensions of the window framing material are given as 6m. The goal is to find the dimensions of the 6 pieces of material that will allow for maximum light to be admitted, assuming no waste of material. One possible approach to solving this problem is to use the derivative and set it equal to zero to find the maximum.
IgniteFlare
Hello,

I am having a little trouble understanding what the question is asking so I was hoping someone would be able to clear up the language the textbook uses. Thanks!

A piece of window framing material is 6m long. A carpenter wants to build a frame for a rural gothic style window where triange ABC is equilateral. The window must fit inside a space 1m wide and 3m high.

a. Find the dimensions that should be used for the 6 pieces so that the maximum amount of light will be admitted. Assume no waste of material for corner cuts, etc.

What I've done so far:
I am assuming that the window width is smaller than the length of BC.
The window framing material totals to 36m.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• calc.JPG
    calc.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
try this

width=1m,ab=bc=ac=1m.bc is the base.then the height of the traingle is
.5^2+x^2=1(PT).then the height of the rest of the window is3-the answer.tyhen just follow thw usual way.

IgniteFlare said:
What I've done so far:
I am assuming that the window width is smaller than the length of BC.
The window framing material totals to 36m.
Assuming the picture you show is a picture of the window, then the window width is equal to BC! Since "The window must fit inside a space 1m wide and 3m high", BC must be less than or equal to 1 m.

Also, you are told the "piece of window framing material is 6m long". I don't see where you get 36m.

Call the base x, the height y, and length of the sides of the triangular top z. Then the total length of framing used is 2x+ 2y+ 2z= 6 so x+ y+ z= 3.

The "maximum amount of light will be admitted" when the area of the figure is maximum. The area of the rectangular bottom is xy, of course.

Dropping a perependicular from the top of the triangle divides it into to right triangles with hypotenuse z and base x/2. By the Pythagorean theorem the height of the triangle is [itex]\sqrt{z^2-\frac{x^2}{4}}[/itex] and so the area of the triangle is
[tex]\frac{x}{2}\sqrt{z^2- \frac{x^2}{4}}[/tex]

The total area of the window is
[tex]xy+\frac{x}{2}\sqrt{z^2- \frac{x^2}{4}}[/tex]
You want to maximize that subject to the constraint that x+y+z= 3.

Since you haven't shown how you attempted to maximze this, I have no idea what level this is at or what you know about optimizing. There are several different ways to continue but I don't know which to suggest.

sruthisupriya, thanks for helping me clear that up a bit.

HallsofIvy said:
Since you haven't shown how you attempted to maximze this, I have no idea what level this is at or what you know about optimizing. There are several different ways to continue but I don't know which to suggest.
Sorry about that. How I find the maximum/minimum of an object is to use the derivative and the slope equals to zero.

i.e. (This is how I've been finding max)
y=x^2 + 24x
dy/dx=2x + 24
0=2x + 24

...and you know the rest.

I am trying to attempt the problem this way, so let me know what I am doing wrong:

perimeter of window=6m
6=2L+2W
3=L+W
W=3-L

finding L

A=LW
A=3L-L^2
dA/dL=3-2L
0=3-2L
-3=-2L
1.5=L

Last edited:

1. How can I improve the energy efficiency of my rural gothic window frame?

To optimize the energy efficiency of your rural gothic window frame, you can consider adding weather stripping or caulking around the frame to prevent drafts. You can also install double or triple-glazed glass for better insulation.

2. What materials are best for constructing a durable rural gothic window frame?

The most commonly used materials for rural gothic window frames are wood and PVC. Both are durable and weather-resistant, but wood may require more maintenance over time.

3. How can I prevent moisture and condensation on my rural gothic window frame?

To prevent moisture and condensation, make sure the window frame is well sealed and insulated. You can also use a dehumidifier in the room to reduce humidity levels.

4. What are the common problems associated with rural gothic window frames?

Some common problems with rural gothic window frames include rotting wood, air leaks, and difficulty opening or closing the window. These issues can be addressed by regularly maintaining and inspecting the window frame.

5. Can I make my own rural gothic window frame?

While it is possible to make your own rural gothic window frame, it may require specialized tools and skills. It is recommended to consult with a professional or purchase a pre-made window frame for optimal results.