1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization Question

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    Hi, I am having a hard time with this Optimization question as i do not know where to begin, I drew a diagram but what formulas, function etc do I use to start the question? And How do i do it?

Two towns A and B are 7km and 5km, respectively, from a railroad line. The points C and D nearest to A and B on the line are 8 km apart. Where should the station be located to minimize the length of a new road from A to S to B?

Here is the Diagram i drew:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7071/diagramv.png [Broken]

How would I start going about doing this problem?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you write the length of the road as a function of where S is? (in particular, think of S as being the distance from point C)

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    See I cant tell if Point CS = 4km and point SD = 4km
    I am not sure if they are both equivalent or not?
    Im confused at this point.

I know the diagram is right because my teacher was helping me on that part.

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

I think you are trying to jump ahead. S (i.e. distance from C to the station as Office Shredder suggested) is the unknown. By the diagram you drew, the optimal value of S is somewhere between 0 and 8km. If you write an equation L = f(S) where L is the length of the road you are trying to minimize, then it's a matter of setting the derivative of L with repect to S equal to zero and solving for S.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook