Optimization - Why is there a constant term in the time equation?

In summary, the man in the given scenario needs to run 6 km before he starts swimming in order to reach his desired destination in the shortest amount of time. This is due to the fact that the constant term in the time equation represents the distance the man has already run before starting to swim.
Qube
Gold Member
Optimization - Why is there a constant term in the time equation??

Mod note: The OP apparently answered his own question.

Homework Statement

1) A man can run at 8 km/hr and swim at 4 km/hr. He is currently 6 km from the shore of a lake, which is due east from him. He wants to get to a point 10 km south on the shore of his current position. How should he proceed?

Homework Equations

1) Pythagorean Theorem; speed is distance / time; time is distance / speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i.minus.com/jb1uFVsmbSfNtE.jpg

My question is: intuitively, if the man ran 0 km on the shore and swam all the way, he would have swam the square root of 136 km - two legs of the triangle are 6 and 10.

sqrt136 km divided by a rate of 4 km/hr yields a time of 2.91 hours. Distance over speed = time.

However, T(0) yields a different time of 3.25 hours. How come? I see that when x = 0 in the equation T(x) the first term - the (6-x)/8 term doesn't go to zero. Did I set up the problem incorrectly?

-----

Wait, never mind. I think I see why now. If x = 0, that wouldn't be that he ran 0 km. That would actually imply the opposite just looking at the diagram I setup. It would imply he ran 6 km and then swam 10 km. And time would correctly be 6 km / 8 plus 10/4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the constant term in the time equation implies that the man is running 6 km before he starts swimming.

1. Why is there a constant term in the time equation?

The constant term in the time equation represents the initial or starting time in the optimization process. It is the time it takes for the process to begin, and therefore, it is a fixed value that is independent of any variables being optimized. This constant term is necessary for accurately calculating the time it will take to complete the optimization process.

2. Does the constant term affect the overall optimization time?

Yes, the constant term does affect the overall optimization time. Even though it is a fixed value, it is still a part of the overall time equation and will contribute to the total time it takes to complete the optimization process. However, its impact on the overall time may be relatively small compared to the other terms in the equation.

3. Can the constant term be eliminated from the time equation?

In most cases, the constant term cannot be eliminated from the time equation. It is a necessary component for accurately calculating the total time of the optimization process. However, in some rare cases where the starting time is not relevant to the optimization process, it may be possible to eliminate the constant term.

4. How does the constant term affect the optimization strategy?

The constant term does not directly affect the optimization strategy. It is simply a part of the time equation and does not impact the actual optimization process or the decisions made during the process. However, it is important to consider the constant term when analyzing the overall time and efficiency of the optimization strategy.

5. Is the constant term the same for all optimization processes?

No, the constant term can vary depending on the specific optimization process being analyzed. It is dependent on the initial conditions and starting time of the process, which can differ from one optimization process to another. Therefore, it is important to consider the constant term separately for each optimization process.