1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization - Why is there a constant term in the time equation?

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1

Qube

Gold Member

Optimization - Why is there a constant term in the time equation??

Mod note: The OP apparently answered his own question.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) A man can run at 8 km/hr and swim at 4 km/hr. He is currently 6 km from the shore of a lake, which is due east from him. He wants to get to a point 10 km south on the shore of his current position. How should he proceed?

2. Relevant equations

1) Pythagorean Theorem; speed is distance / time; time is distance / speed.

3. The attempt at a solution

http://i.minus.com/jb1uFVsmbSfNtE.jpg [Broken]

My question is: intuitively, if the man ran 0 km on the shore and swam all the way, he would have swam the square root of 136 km - two legs of the triangle are 6 and 10.

sqrt136 km divided by a rate of 4 km/hr yields a time of 2.91 hours. Distance over speed = time.

However, T(0) yields a different time of 3.25 hours. How come? I see that when x = 0 in the equation T(x) the first term - the (6-x)/8 term doesn't go to zero. Did I set up the problem incorrectly?

-----

Wait, never mind. I think I see why now. If x = 0, that wouldn't be that he ran 0 km. That would actually imply the opposite just looking at the diagram I setup. It would imply he ran 6 km and then swam 10 km. And time would correctly be 6 km / 8 plus 10/4.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?