Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimizing a Current-Feedback Operational Amplifier (CFOA)

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    I'm working on a project for a research grant, and the humble beginning of this idea is to create a solid CFOA. I have the fundamental design down (basically modeled after something I found in IEEE journals), but a professor of mine has made a few comments that the circuit can be better optimized by "adding a few resistors". I'm not sure where exactly to add anything. What is the general idea behind a CFOA? I would specifically like to inquire about what limits the slew rate, and what could be done to alter the slew rate?

Essentially, what I have in the screenshot is two BJT Cascode current mirrors, the CFOA itself, the power supplies, and the feedback network making a basic non-inverting op-amp with a midband gain of 6dB.

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This is not in any way a homework problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted