Will a Conic Container Shape Prevent Bouncing Up Due to Gas Pressure?

In summary: However, the shape of the top may affect the direction of the force and the risk of the container bouncing up. A cone or sphere shaped top may distribute the pressure force differently, reducing the risk of bouncing up. It is recommended to design a conic or spherical shaped top for the container to reduce this risk.
ofer1511
Hi there,
I am developing a really cool new product and it somehow relates to pressure's behavior. Since I do not have any Physics background I will appreciate if someone could help me out.
The thing is that I attach a small container to certain area. This attachment actually seals the container so the inside of the container is isolated. However, plastic permeability enable gas to penetrate the container's walls and accumulate in the container. At some stage, the gas pressure gets to a critical point in which it pushes the container from the inside and makes it bounce up detach from the area to which it was attached.
Currently, the containe has a cylindrical shape with flat top. I figured out that since pressure acts in perpendicular direction on the surface, it is easy for it to push the container up since it has a flat top.
I wonder, and here comes my question: If I'll make a cone shaped or a cylinder with sphere shaped top, will it reduce the risk of the container from bouncing up. My logic says that in a conic container. the pressure force will be distributed partly to the top direction and partly to the sides because of the diagonal angle of the cone's walls (Compared to a flat top which directs all the pressure's force directly up).
Shortly, Would it be better to design a conic container than a flat-top container?

Thank you for reading and I will appreciate your answer. If you have any ling that might be helpful here, I will appreciate your reference.

Ofer

Physics news on Phys.org
The shape of a pressure vessel makes no difference, the force normal to the entrance is the same in all cases.

Hello Ofer,

Thank you for your question. I can provide some insights on the behavior of gas pressure and how it may be affected by different container shapes.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the shape of a container does not directly affect the pressure inside. The pressure inside a container is determined by the amount of gas present and the temperature. However, the shape of a container can indirectly affect the pressure by changing the distribution of force on the container walls.

In the case of your cylindrical container with a flat top, the pressure force is indeed directed upwards, making it easier for the gas to push the container up. This is because the flat top provides a larger surface area for the pressure force to act on.

Now, let's consider a conic container. As you mentioned, the angled walls of the cone will distribute the pressure force in both the upward and sideways directions. This means that the force acting on the top of the container will be reduced, making it less likely for the container to bounce up. However, the force acting on the sides of the container will increase, potentially causing it to deform or even burst if the pressure becomes too high.

In summary, a conic container may reduce the risk of bouncing up due to gas pressure, but it is important to consider the potential consequences of increased pressure on the sides of the container. It may also be helpful to explore other design options, such as reinforcing the container walls or using materials with lower gas permeability.

I hope this helps to answer your question. If you would like further information or resources on gas pressure and container design, I recommend consulting a physics textbook or speaking with a physics expert. Best of luck with your product development!

1. What is the significance of the optimum container shape in scientific research?

The optimum container shape is important in scientific research because it can greatly affect the outcome of experiments. The shape of a container can impact factors such as air flow, temperature distribution, and fluid dynamics, which can all have a significant impact on the results of an experiment.

2. How is the optimum container shape determined?

The optimum container shape is determined through a combination of mathematical modeling and experimentation. Scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to predict the behavior of different container shapes, and then test those predictions through physical experiments.

3. Can the optimum container shape vary depending on the type of substance being contained?

Yes, the optimum container shape can vary depending on the type of substance being contained. Different substances have different properties and behaviors, so the ideal container shape for one substance may not be the same for another. It is important for scientists to consider the properties of the substance when determining the optimum container shape.

4. Are there any common shapes that are considered to be optimum for most substances?

While the optimum container shape can vary, there are some common shapes that are generally considered to be efficient for most substances. These include cylindrical, spherical, and cuboid shapes. These shapes have a symmetrical and uniform structure, which can help to minimize any external factors that may affect the substance being contained.

5. How does the optimum container shape affect the sustainability of a product?

The optimum container shape can have a significant impact on the sustainability of a product. A well-designed container shape can reduce the amount of material needed to produce it, as well as improve its efficiency in terms of storage and transportation. This can lead to a reduction in waste and energy consumption, making the product more sustainable in the long run.