Options for physics BSc graduates outside of academia

In summary, the discussion centers around the employability of physics graduates with a BSc degree, as opposed to a PhD. Links to previous discussions on websites such as Metafilter and Reddit are provided, with users sharing their thoughts on the topic. The general consensus is that a BSc degree in Physics can lead to various career opportunities, including engineering, with some additional coursework. A user also shares their personal experience of working as an engineer and their willingness to consider a physics major for employment. However, it is noted that a solid understanding of electrical theory is important for engineering positions.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. One of the perennial favourite topics here in the Career Guidance section is the employability of physics graduates, including those with just a BSc degree instead of a PhD.

I've found the following links on Metafilter and Reddit which I thought might be relevant (the last Metafilter posting was from 2010; the Reddit post was from 2013). I was wondering what your thoughts are in terms of their responses in these threads.

http://ask.metafilter.com/157198/Wh...s-do-for-a-living-other-than-flipping-burgers

https://www.reddit.com/r/Physics/comments/1huj6q/for_those_of_us_getting_a_bs_in_physics_what/

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that a BS (or even a BA) degree in Physics can get you into Engineering with some extra courses in an engineering discipline. When I worked as a senior level engineer, I certainly would not pass up on a physics major if they applied into my department. My own department manager at the last Engineering firm I worked for had a dual major EE and Physics, so I suspect he would consider a physics major as well.
Currently I work as a PM in the power industry building relay houses for large power companies. I would be happy to consider a physics major as an engineer at our plant. However, the ideal candidate should have a solid understanding of the basics of electrical theory.

Likes Dr. Courtney

1. What career options are available for physics BSc graduates outside of academia?

There are a wide range of career options available for physics BSc graduates outside of academia. Some popular options include working in research and development for private companies, pursuing a career in engineering, data analysis, or becoming a science writer or science educator.

2. What skills do physics BSc graduates have that are valuable in the job market?

Physics BSc graduates have a diverse set of skills that are highly sought after in the job market. These include problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical skills, mathematical and computational skills, and the ability to work with complex data and systems.

3. Are there any specific industries that physics BSc graduates are well-suited for?

Physics BSc graduates are versatile and can apply their skills to a variety of industries. Some common ones include aerospace and defense, energy, technology, healthcare, and finance. However, many other industries also value the problem-solving and analytical skills of physics graduates.

4. Is further education necessary for career advancement as a physics BSc graduate?

While further education, such as a master's or PhD, is not always necessary for career advancement, it can open up more opportunities and higher-paying positions. It also allows graduates to specialize in a specific area of physics and gain more in-depth knowledge and skills.

5. What resources are available for physics BSc graduates seeking non-academic careers?

There are numerous resources available for physics BSc graduates seeking non-academic careers. These include career fairs and job boards specifically for scientists, networking events with industry professionals, and career counseling services at universities. Additionally, many companies have internship or entry-level programs for recent graduates.