1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Options with plasma physics

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    Hi. I'm thinking of doing a PhD in plasma physics, ideally to get into nuclear fusion research. But I am a little concerned that the opportunities with plasma physics are a little narrow. Does anyone know anything about its uses or otherwise in industry/non-fusion research? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2
    i'm actually considering the same thing. I've followed the recent developments in fusion for a while a now and have borrowed a number of books on particle physics and plasma physics.

I can't say how fast it will be as ITER is still experimental. We'd have to wait until 2018 at least for a definitive market for fusion.

I'd pursue it in hopes of working on fusion research, possibly contributing to faster fusion development.

4. Aug 20, 2009 #3
    Well, its used in astrophysics as well, a lot of the terrestial fusion researchers were originally studying astrophysical plasmas. I think it might help in certain types of propulsion methods too like the ion drives but I'm not sure how many plasma physicists are involved.

I don't think the opportunities are ridiculously narrow, but it doesn't have as many applications as solid state physics etc.

5. Aug 20, 2009 #4
    Just out of curiosity. Why that date in particular?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook