Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optocoupler chip

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    hi... i need some understanding of optocoupler chip after doing so much of research.
    currently am doing buck converter circuit to observe the switching performance of IGBT..
    i test my circuit with (PWM chip > High Side driver > power circuit). when i power on the whole circuit.. i can't measure anything at my buck converter output, and my high side driver is sorted..

for i understand the about the optocoupler chip, is to isolation the voltage.. so i assume the i should place the optocoupler chip between my high side driver and power circuit and is a must to

my question is:
    • where do i place my optocoupler?? between the power circuit and High side driver or PWM chip and High side driver???
    • for the optocoupler chip, it is can transfer the signal from low signal to high signal???
    Hope to hear from you soon!!1

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The buck topology DC-DC converter is a non-isolated converter. It uses just an inductor and not a transformer, so there is no need or place for an optocoupler. Can you show us the schematic of what you are trying to do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook