1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

< or = to 1

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    I have read a question which has

Two events A and B such that p(A) = r and p(B) = s with r,s >0 and
    r + s > 1

My querry is about r + s > 1 is this possible ? I thought that it had to be < or = to 1

regards
    Brendan

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Probability

Suppose you have a die, and you throw it once. Let A be "the outcome is 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5" and B "the outcome is 3, 4, 5 or 6".

Note however, that though p(A) + p(B) > 1, you always have p(A + B) <= 1 (with p(A + B) being the probability of A or B happening).

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If A and B are "mutually exclusive" events, then P(A+ B)= P(A)+ P(B). Since P(A+B) cannot be larger than 1, neither can P(A)+ P(B).

But if A and B are NOT "mutually exclusive" that is not true. Suppose you roll a single die. Let A be "the number on the die is larger than 2" and B is "the number on the die is even"
    Since there are 4 numbers on the die larger than 2, P(A)= 4/5= 2/3. Since there are 3 even numbers on the die, P(B)= 3/6= 1/2. P(A)+ P(B)= 2/3+ 1/2= 7/6> 1.

Of course, that is NOT P(A+B). The numbers on the die that are "either larger than 2 or even" are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 so P(A+ B)= 5/6.

"Larger than 3 or even" are not mutually exclusive. 4 and 6 are both "larger than 3" and even. P(A and B)= 2/6= 1/3 so P(A+ B)= P(A)+ P(B)- P(A and B)= 2/3+ 1/2- 1/3= 7/6- 2/6= 5/6.

5. Feb 18, 2009 #4

Thanks very much guys.
    I see that it makes sense that they could both equal > 1 if both are not mutually exclusive.

Now I just have to prove it !

6. Feb 18, 2009 #5

Don't you mean:

p(A + B) <= P(a)+P(b)

which is a triangle inequality.

7. Feb 19, 2009 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that is also true. Actually I think it is something like
    [tex]p(A \cup B) = p(A) + p(B) - p(A \cap B)[/tex]
    which shows both the triangle inequality and the statement about mutually exclusive events (where [itex]A \cap B[/itex] is empty).

However, the point I wanted to stress is that the probability of A or B is always less than or equal to one, as you'd expect, contrary to the probability of A plus the probability of B; therefore p(A) + p(B) is not the same as p(A + B).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook