Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orang & dog mystery

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    This delightful video shows an orangutan playing with a dog, not to mention an elephant.

I know very little about animal behavior, so maybe someone knows? As far as I’ve read, orangs are solitary animals. In the wild, even males & females keep apart for most of the time. So how does this animal know how to play? Or why does it play, & with a different species, even?

Would it be from some orang sub-species that normally lives in groups? A Hollywood animal actor? Could raising in captivity so modify behavior? Any ideas? BP
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2
    I couldn't get it to load, which is a shame. I really wanted to see it.
  4. Feb 13, 2010 #3
    Found it on Youtube

I can see where it may be the way Surya was raised. Like other orang's in captivity, it has learned to accept other species. I think its adorable, always great to have a BFF.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Feb 13, 2010 #4
    thanks; obviously raising in an unnatural enviro had its effects. But did you have any ideas about where such sociability/play potentials came from in a species noted for solitary ways? Pack/group immature animals play, to learn life skills. Maybe orangs play with mom? But the immense ground-level fun Bonobzo seemed to be having impressed me. What's the survival pay-off? Maybe he'll get miserable & curmugeonly with middle-age?
  6. Feb 15, 2010 #5
    this source (Groos) was sent to me & seems to have a large part of the answer.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...v-play-is-nature-s-way-teaching-us-new-skills http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...v-play-is-nature-s-way-teaching-us-new-skills

If you want to pursue the genetics trail in an adventurous safari, try Perry Marshall.

You might find a connect between DNA/instincts & play/behavior - how they might interact. Good luck, OGT
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook