Building Orange/Potato Guns - Tips & Advice

• Thread starter morry
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about building an orange gun using PVC pipes with a potato and hair spray to create a combustion reaction. The person is interested in designing one properly and measuring how far it can shoot. They are seeking tips and resources, such as a masters thesis on the topic.
morry
Hi guys,

I have holidays coming up and if I have any spare time (Which I doubt), Id like to build an orange gun. For those of you who don't know, I am talking about some pvc pipe with an orange/potato shoved up it. Spray some hair spray down there and spark away.

Anyway, instead of just hacking one together, I was thinking about actually designing one properly. ie Combustion chamber size, barrel length etc.

I reckon it would be interesting to measure how far one could shoot.

Anyway, has anyone made these before and any tips?

Engineering news on Phys.org

What materials do I need to build an orange/potato gun?

To build an orange/potato gun, you will need PVC pipes, PVC cement, a valve, a trigger mechanism, a barrel, a combustion chamber, and a fuel source (such as hairspray or propane).

How do I assemble the gun?

First, cut the PVC pipes to the desired length for the barrel and combustion chamber. Use PVC cement to connect the pipes and create a sealed combustion chamber. Attach the valve and trigger mechanism to the combustion chamber. Then, attach the barrel to the other end of the combustion chamber. Finally, add a fuel source to the combustion chamber and you are ready to fire.

What safety precautions should I take when using the gun?

Always wear safety goggles when using the gun to prevent any debris from entering your eyes. Never aim the gun at people or animals. Only use the gun in a safe and open area, away from any flammable materials. And always follow the instructions carefully to avoid accidents.

Can I use other fruits or vegetables instead of oranges or potatoes?

Yes, you can use other round fruits or vegetables of similar size, such as apples, lemons, or tomatoes. Just make sure to adjust the size of the barrel accordingly to ensure a proper fit.

Are there any legal restrictions for building and using an orange/potato gun?

The legality of building and using an orange/potato gun varies by location. It is important to check your local laws and regulations before building or using one. Some areas may require a permit or have specific rules regarding the use of these guns.