1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbit change of the satelite

1. Dec 17, 2003 #1
    if i want to find the supplied energy when the satelite's orbit changed, do i need to find the its velocity or only find its K.E. ??

thanks..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Consider the total energy, PE + KE.

4. Dec 17, 2003 #3
    would u mind to tell me more ??

5. Dec 17, 2003 #4

Doc Al

Why don't you explain the problem you are trying to solve? A satellite in orbit has a certain total energy, which depends on the radius of the orbit. To change the orbit, you must add or subtract energy.

6. Dec 17, 2003 #5
    my problem is one satellite is changed its orbit from 200 km to 3000 km above the earth and from the energy was supplied.

First may i need to fidn the velocity change, then find P.E. ??

7. Dec 17, 2003 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "energy supplied"?

For orbital transfers, you need to do a Hohmann Transfer. You can find the velocity at each point (before the first burn, after the first burn, before the second burn, after the second burn) using the Vis Viva Equation, and then compute the delta-Vs from that.

Is delta V what you meant by energy supplied?

8. Dec 17, 2003 #7

Doc Al

I take it that your problem is to find the additional energy that must be supplied to a satellite changing from a low orbit to a higher orbit, right?

Since I don't know what you are supposed to know about orbits, I'm not sure what to tell you yet. Tell me how you will find the speed (or KE) of the new orbit and we'll go from there.

To work this kind of problem, you'll have to know about the law of gravity and gravitational PE, and about centripetal acceleration.

9. Dec 17, 2003 #8
    sorry !!! i give a mistake...
    let me say again....

A satellite is uniform circular motion in an orbit 200 km above the surface of the earth. if the satellite change its orbrit to 3000 km above the earth , how much energy must be supplied ??

10. Dec 17, 2003 #9

Doc Al

I understood your problem correctly. So tell us what you've done so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?