Calculating Orbital Speed: Jupiter & Earth Orbit Time

In summary, The equation for finding orbital speed is not provided, but the Gravitational Force can be used to calculate it. For the first question, the speed of a satellite in orbit 9.5 x10^3 km above Jupiter can be calculated using the radius of Jupiter and its mass. The second question involves finding the time for one orbit, which can be determined using the average radius of orbit for Jupiter and the value of Cs (centripetal force). The Gravitational Force and centripetal force will balance each other out.
ubiquitous
ok just a couple orbital questions I forget the equation that needs to be used and do not have my textbook with me so if anyone knows the equation for finding orbital speed that would be great!

1. calculate the speed of a satellite in orbit 9.5 x10^3 km above jupiter.
radius of Jupiter = 7.18 x 10^7 m
Mass of Jupiter = 1.90 x 10^27 kg

2. The average radius of orbit for Jupiter is 7.78 x 10^11m. usuing Cs = 3.355 x 10^18 m^3/s^2, calculate the number of Earth years it will take for Jupiter to complete one orbit.

So what does it mean by Cs and how do you find the time for one orbit? I have trouble getting the problems started if I'm given a hint i can usually find the answers on my own so anything will help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ubiquitous said:
ok just a couple orbital questions I forget the equation that needs to be used and do not have my textbook with me so if anyone knows the equation for finding orbital speed that would be great!

1. calculate the speed of a satellite in orbit 9.5 x10^3 km above jupiter.
radius of Jupiter = 7.18 x 10^7 m
Mass of Jupiter = 1.90 x 10^27 kg

2. The average radius of orbit for Jupiter is 7.78 x 10^11m. usuing Cs = 3.355 x 10^18 m^3/s^2, calculate the number of Earth years it will take for Jupiter to complete one orbit.

So what does it mean by Cs and how do you find the time for one orbit? I have trouble getting the problems started if I'm given a hint i can usually find the answers on my own so anything will help.

Welcome to PF.

You can always figure out what you want.

You know the Gravitational Force.

And it will balance with the centripetal force won't it?

I would recommend using the equation for orbital speed:

V = √(GM/r)

Where:
V = orbital speed (m/s)
G = gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)
M = mass of the central body (Jupiter in this case, in kg)
r = distance from the center of the central body to the object (9.5 x 10^6 km + radius of Jupiter, converted to meters)

For the first question, plug in the values and solve for V. Remember to convert the distance to meters before plugging it into the equation.

For the second question, the value of Cs is the standard gravitational parameter for Jupiter, which is a constant value used in orbital mechanics calculations. To find the time for one orbit, you can use the following equation:

T = 2πr/V

Where:
T = time for one orbit (s)
r = average radius of orbit for Jupiter (7.78 x 10^11 m)
V = orbital speed (calculated from the first question)

Again, remember to convert the radius to meters before plugging it into the equation. This will give you the time in seconds, so you can convert it to years by dividing by the number of seconds in a year (3.154 x 10^7 s).

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! Remember to always double-check your units and conversions to ensure accuracy.

Question 1:

What is the formula for calculating orbital speed?

The formula for calculating orbital speed is v = √(GM/r), where v is the orbital speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

Question 2:

How do you calculate the orbital speed of Jupiter?

To calculate the orbital speed of Jupiter, you need to know the distance between Jupiter and the Sun (r) and the mass of the Sun (M). Plug these values into the formula v = √(GM/r) to determine the orbital speed of Jupiter.

Question 3:

What is the orbital speed of Earth?

The orbital speed of Earth varies depending on its distance from the Sun. On average, it is around 107,200 km/h or 66,600 mph. This speed is relative to the Sun and does not account for the motion of the Earth around its axis.

Question 4:

How long does it take for Jupiter to orbit the Sun?

It takes Jupiter approximately 11.86 Earth years (or 4,332.82 Earth days) to orbit the Sun. This is because Jupiter is located much further away from the Sun than Earth, so it has a longer orbital period.

Question 5:

What is the relationship between orbital speed and orbital time?

The relationship between orbital speed and orbital time is inverse. This means that as the orbital speed increases, the orbital time decreases. Conversely, as the orbital speed decreases, the orbital time increases.