Can a Planet Leave Its Orbit Without External Forces?

In summary, the planetary orbit in a star system can decay over time due to friction from other objects, but the planet will still remain in an elliptical path around the star. A planet cannot leave its orbit without any external forces interfering, as its self-gravity and the gravitational pull of the star keep it in orbit. The only way a planet could leave its orbit is if the gravity of the star is significantly reduced. Tidal interactions may also cause a planet's orbit to rise, but this is not a strong effect.
neurotikfisch
I've got a pretty simple question, and it may sound dumb, but I'm going to ask it anyway:

First, I'll preface by saying that from what I understand (and please verify or correct me), planetary orbit in a star system decays over time a la net force. I also have come to understand that the planet will either be pulled into the star or take on an elliptical path around the star (again, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My question is this: if these are true, is there any way that a planet can leave orbit, acted only upon by the gravity of the star it orbits, without any other forces interfering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "ala net force". The only way an orbit can decay is through friction with atoms, molecules, or other objects in its path. Nor do I understand what you mean by "take on an elliptical path". All objects orbiting in the solar system are in elliptical paths.

As for your question, no. As long as the total energy of the object stays the same, the planet will remain in its orbit. And the only way friction can can change total energy is to reduce it- and if an object is already in orbit, it would need greater energy, not less, to leave orbit and escape the gravitational influence.

As above, no.

To elaborate we need to look at your question again:

neurotikfisch said:
First, I'll preface by saying that from what I understand (and please verify or correct me), planetary orbit in a star system decays over time a la net force. I also have come to understand that the planet will either be pulled into the star or take on an elliptical path around the star (again, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My question is this: if these are true, is there any way that a planet can leave orbit, acted only upon by the gravity of the star it orbits, without any other forces interfering?

Now we have to look at the word planet... A planet is defined as an object that is massive enough to have it's self-gravity form the planet into a near spherical shape, it must orbit in a clear path around it's star and hold the orbit should anything fall in its path.

So it would not be a planet if it was able to leave the orbit without any kind of external force and it would take some force to get a planet out of orbit.

The only way a planet may leave an orbit is if the gravity of it's star is majorly reduced for some reason.

If you want to look at orbital decay in basic form you will be best looking at satellites whose orbits do decay due to their having to battle with forces such as solar winds and atmospheric particles.

The Sun's angular velocity is much higher than planetary angular velocity. That means tidal interactions will make planetary orbits rise due to tidal interactions. But I don't expect it to be a very strong effect.

I can confirm that a planet's orbit is primarily determined by the forces of gravity from the star it orbits. This means that without any external forces, a planet will continue in its orbit around the star. However, there are certain scenarios where a planet can leave its orbit without external forces.

One possible scenario is if the planet's orbit intersects with another planet's orbit. This can cause gravitational interactions between the two planets, leading to a change in the orbit of one or both planets. In some cases, this can result in a planet being ejected from its orbit.

Another scenario is if the planet's orbit is affected by the presence of a third body, such as a passing star or a massive object like a black hole. This can cause disruptions in the planet's orbit and potentially lead to it leaving its original orbit.

It is also important to note that while a planet's orbit may decay over time due to various factors, this does not necessarily mean that the planet will be pulled into the star. The planet may instead be ejected from its orbit or take on a new, more elliptical orbit.

In summary, while a planet's orbit is primarily determined by the forces of gravity from the star it orbits, there are certain scenarios where a planet can leave its orbit without external forces. These scenarios involve interactions with other bodies or external influences on the planet's orbit.

1. Can a planet leave its orbit without external forces?

No, according to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will remain in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. This means that a planet will continue to orbit around its star unless a force, such as gravity from another object, acts upon it.

2. Are there any exceptions to this law?

Yes, there are a few rare exceptions to this law. One example is the Oort Cloud, a hypothetical cloud of comets that exists at the edge of our solar system. It is believed that some comets from the Oort Cloud can be nudged out of their orbits by the gravitational pull of passing stars or other objects.

3. What about the effects of internal forces?

Internal forces, such as the planet's own gravity or the interaction between different layers within the planet, can cause changes in its orbit. However, these changes are typically small and cannot cause a planet to leave its orbit entirely.

4. Can a planet's orbit change due to external forces?

Yes, a planet's orbit can be affected by external forces such as the gravitational pull of other planets, asteroids, or comets. These forces can cause slight shifts in the planet's orbit, but they cannot cause the planet to leave its orbit altogether.

5. What would happen if a planet did leave its orbit?

If a planet were to leave its orbit without any external forces acting upon it, it would most likely result in the planet flying off into space. This would cause significant disruptions to the planet's ecosystem and potentially have catastrophic effects on any life forms that may exist on the planet.