Orbit Type Strata of C^3: 2-torus Action (a,b)

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2-torus action on C^3 defined by (a,b).(x,y,z) = (abx, a^-1by, bz) and the resulting orbit type strata. The fixed point of this action is (0,0,0) but there is also at least one other orbit for every point in (u,v,w). The map (a,b) --> (abx, a^-1by, bz) is not injective when b=0 and a is not 0, resulting in a quotient space of the 2-torus. The resulting space is a set of all points (abx, a^-1by, bz) with x,y,z in C
HMY
a 2-torus action on C^3 can be defined by
(a,b).(x,y,z)= (abx, a^-1by, bz)

What are the orbit type strata of C^3 here?

2-torus can be thought of (S^1)^2.
0 is the only fixed point I can tell, so it's one strata.
I just don't understand this seemingly simple action.

Physics news on Phys.org
Orbits are not fixed points. (0,0,0) is an orbit, agreed. But there is at least one other - every point lies in an orbit.

So fix a point (u,v,w) and look at where the torus maps it. What is the resulting space? It is a quotient space of the 2-torus, but by what? I.e.e when is the map (a,b)-->(abx,by/a,bz) not injective? (this is a constraint on x,y,z) Where it is injective impleis the orbits are 2-toruses, and where it isn't they are something else.

am I properly making sense of this?

Call this map f: (a,b)-->(abx,by/a,bz)

f is not injective when you look at (a, b) with b=0 &
a not= 0.

eg.
take another point (c,d) with d=0 & c not= a & c not= 0
So (a,b) not= (c,d). But f(a,b) = (0,0,0) & f(c,d) = (0,0,0)

matt grime said:
So fix a point (u,v,w) and look at where the torus maps it. What is the resulting space? It is a quotient space of the 2-torus, but by what? I.e.e when is the map (a,b)-->(abx,by/a,bz) not injective? (this is a constraint on x,y,z) Where it is injective impleis the orbits are 2-toruses, and where it isn't they are something else.

That f is a map from where to where? What is the alleged image? The set of all points (abx,by/a,bz) with x,y,z in C^3?

I don't see what that map has to do with the problem.

Here's a point in C^3: (1,0,0). What is the orbit of that point under group action?

1. What is the concept of "orbit type strata" in C^3: 2-torus action?

Orbit type strata refer to the different types of orbits that can be obtained through the action of a 2-torus on a three-dimensional complex space, denoted as C^3. These orbits can be classified based on their geometric and topological properties, such as their dimension and the stability of their points.

2. How does the action of a 2-torus on C^3 affect the orbit type strata?

The 2-torus action on C^3 induces a partition of the complex space into different orbit type strata. This partition is determined by the action of the 2-torus on the complex space, which can be described by a set of equations known as moment map equations.

3. What is the significance of studying orbit type strata in C^3: 2-torus action?

The study of orbit type strata in C^3: 2-torus action is relevant in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as symplectic geometry, algebraic geometry, and integrable systems. It allows for a better understanding of the structure and dynamics of complex spaces and can lead to the discovery of new mathematical and physical principles.

4. Can orbit type strata in C^3: 2-torus action be visualized?

Yes, orbit type strata in C^3: 2-torus action can be visualized through the use of geometric tools, such as moment maps, symplectic cuts, and Hamiltonian flows. These visualizations can help to gain insight into the geometric and topological properties of the different orbit types.

5. Are there any applications of orbit type strata in C^3: 2-torus action in real-world systems?

Yes, the concept of orbit type strata in C^3: 2-torus action has been applied in various fields, such as robotics, control theory, and quantum mechanics. It has also been used in the study of physical systems, such as the dynamics of celestial bodies and the behavior of particles in magnetic fields.