1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbit with time-varying mass

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An approach to the problem of finding how orbital radius changes with solar mass is to solve the radial equation of motion for a gravitational force that has an explicit time dependence based on the assumed rate of mass loss. Show by numerically solving this equation of motion that one gets the result D proportional to 1/M.

2. Relevant equations

I'm not entirely sure what equation of motion the question requires. We can equate the gravitational force with the centripetal force,

mv2/D = GMm/D2

but I'm unsure as to how to include the time-dependent solar mass.

I think we can assume the changes in mass per orbit are small and uniform.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried replacing the constant mass M in the above equation with M(t) and differentiating with respect to t, and using the angular momentum to express v in terms of D, but it's not really getting me anywhere.

Any advice on how to approach this problem would be greatly appreciated. :D
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi fizzwhiz! welcome to pf! :wink:

i think they mean, what happens to the same planet as the solar mass changes?

so v won't be constant, but the angular momentum of the planet will :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook