Calculating Orbital Angular Momentum: What Is the Correct Answer?

In summary, you are missing a ##\sin\theta## in the integrand and this causes the answer to be incorrect.
Martin89

Homework Statement

Q6.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

20180411_151430.jpg

Hi All,

My problem is that when I calculate this integral or use software to do it for me I get (3*i*pi)/16, when I've been told that the answer is 1/2i giving a probability of 1/4. Would someone be able to point out where my mistake is.

Thanks

Attachments

• Q6.png
    Q6.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 450
  • Q6.png
    Q6.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 742
  • 20180411_151430.jpg
    20180411_151430.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 673
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing a ##\sin\theta## in the integrand, ##d\Omega =\sin \theta d\theta d\phi##.

Likes Martin89
kuruman said:
You are missing a ##\sin\theta## in the integrand, ##d\Omega =\sin \theta d\theta d\phi##.
So I have, thanks for the spot!

At some point you will learn to do such integrals without actually integrating. You can easily show with a bit of algebra that$$ -\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\sin\theta \sin \phi=\frac{1}{2i} \left(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1}\right)~;~~~-\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}i\cos\theta=-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}Y_{1,0}$$so that $$X_{1,1}=\frac{1}{2i} \left(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1}\right)-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}Y_{1,0}$$ and then use the orthonormality property of the spherical harmonics, ##\int Y^*_{l,m}Y_{l',m'}d\Omega=\delta_{ll'}\delta_{mm'}## to get the answer. Clearly, only the integral involving ##Y_{1,1}## is non-zero.

Likes Martin89
kuruman said:
At some point you will learn to do such integrals without actually integrating. You can easily show with a bit of algebra that$$ -\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\sin\theta \sin \phi=\frac{1}{2i} \left(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1}\right)~;~~~-\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}i\cos\theta=-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}Y_{1,0}$$so that $$X_{1,1}=\frac{1}{2i} \left(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1}\right)-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}Y_{1,0}$$ and then use the orthonormality property of the spherical harmonics, ##\int Y^*_{l,m}Y_{l',m'}d\Omega=\delta_{ll'}\delta_{mm'}## to get the answer. Clearly, only the integral involving ##Y_{1,1}## is non-zero.

Or I can calculate the probability directly from the the sum of the squares of the coefficients as they must equal unity. Thanks again for the help!

What is orbital angular momentum?

Orbital angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object or system around a fixed point. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

How is orbital angular momentum different from spin angular momentum?

Orbital angular momentum refers to the motion of an object or system around a fixed point, while spin angular momentum refers to the intrinsic rotational motion of a particle or system. Orbital angular momentum is associated with macroscopic objects, while spin angular momentum is associated with subatomic particles.

What are the applications of orbital angular momentum?

Orbital angular momentum has many applications in physics, including in the study of celestial bodies and the motion of satellites around Earth. It is also important in the description of atomic and molecular orbitals and in the design of optical tweezers for manipulating small particles.

How is orbital angular momentum quantized?

In quantum mechanics, orbital angular momentum is quantized, meaning that it can only take on certain discrete values. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles and their interactions with each other and their surroundings. The quantization of orbital angular momentum has important implications for the behavior of electrons in atoms and the structure of atomic orbitals.

How is orbital angular momentum conserved?

Orbital angular momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in a closed system. This is due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This principle is important in understanding the motion of objects in space, such as planets orbiting the sun.