Relative Planet Distances: Find Date/Start/Destination Distances

• Thread starter iamsomeguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbital
In summary, Tony found a resource that shows the relative distances between planets charted for different times of the year. He needs the distances between Mercury and the Sun, and was unable to find it on the web. He found the distances between Mercury and other planets and moons in the solar system with a program he wrote. Finally, he asks if there is a link to the resource where he can find Earth.
iamsomeguy
Is there a resource showing relative distances between the planets charted for different times of the year?

Specifically, I'm looking for tables or software where I can type in a date, and a starting location, say Mars, and see the distance to a selected body in the solar system, say Jupiter.

For example:
I can select my starting location to be Venus, my date to be March 10, 2005 and my destination to be Saturn. Then it will give me the distance between the two.

Thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, iamsomeguy.

I spent some time looking on the web, but couldn't find any sites that already do exactly what you're looking to do. Fortunately, it's really not all that complicated. The hard part is simply finding the data. First, I'll give you three different methods for finding such data:

1) Here's a nifty little Excel macro package that can calculate the positions of the planets. You just plug the macros into Excel, then use simple functions to perform the calculations. http://www.xylem.f2s.com/kepler/astrofnc.html

2) I use a wonderful little program called XEphem for astrometric calculations. XEphem produces decent star charts, but its real value is its flexibility in getting data into or out of it. It's free software, but the downside is that it's a Unix program. If you're using Windows, you can still use XEphem, but you'll need some technical savvy. You can first install the Cygwin package (which provides a Unix-like environment for Windows), then compile XEphem on top of Cygwin. http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/

If you're willing to pay money for a program, I believe two of the most popular packages, Starry Night Pro and TheSky, are both easily capable of making these calculations.

3) You can calculate the numbers yourself with a calculator or small computer program, using some of the algorithms detailed at these websites:

http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/comp/tutorial.html
http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/comp/ppcomp.html

You can use any of the three methods above to get three spherical coordinates for each planet: the heliocentric latitude, longitude, and distance. With these coordinates, it's a simple matter to calculate distances.

I don't know your level of math or computer skills, so let me know if you need additional help.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get the distances between any 2 solar system objects, including all planets, most moons, hundreds of thousands of asteroids & comets, and lots of spacecraft by sending an e-mail to JPL Horizons at the following address:
horizons@ssd.jpl.nasa.gov

put the word job in the subject line

and a modified version of this in the body:

!$$SOF
EMAIL_ADDR=''
START_TIME = '2029-Apr-01 00:00:00'
STOP_TIME = '2029-Apr-01 00:00:01'
TABLE_TYPE = 'Vector'
REF_PLANE = 'Ecliptic'
CENTER = '@010'
COMMAND='199'
!$$EOF

Change your start time and stop time to whatever you want. Notice that stop time is 1 second more than start time.

in Center =
you need the @ sign, then put in an object id

in Command =
you just need the object id

both need to be in single quotes

Object id list:

010: Sun
199: Mercury
299: Venus
399: Earth
etc,ect...
999: Pluto

301: Earth Moon
401 & 402: Mars moons
501-5xx: Jupiter Moons, etc

For a complete list, visit the JPL Horizons web page.

So in the above example, I asked for Mercury with respect to the Sun. Horizons automated system took less than 20 seconds to send me a reply e-mail that contained the following data:

$$SOE
2462227.500000000 = A.D. 2029-Apr-01 00:00:00.0000 (CT)
3.983419164516005E+07 2.717340591298079E+07 -1.432368585167380E+06 -3.700246350807901E+01 4.235721524755920E+01 6.855282109693581E+00
1.609151534147640E+02 4.824114937165917E+07 -6.898523657281064E+00
$$EOE

Notice the numbers I boldfaced. They are the x-component of the distance, the y-component of the distance, and the z-component of the distance expressed in kilometers. The next 3 numbers are velocity components.

from these numbers, you can come up with a distance
[tex]d=\sqrt {x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]
which equals 48241149.3716592 kilometers in the above example.

tony,

Excellent resource! Thank you!

- Warren

chroot said:
tony,

Excellent resource! Thank you!

- Warren
Thanks.

Here's a link to a program I wrote that creates the text of the e-mail for you. You can select from almost 200 solar system objects in the dropdown lists so you don't have to refer to things by their ID numbers.

Ignore page 2 of the calculator (unless you use Orbiter). It wants you to paste the reply e-mail into it, then it searches it for the data it needs to create output that can be used in the program Orbiter -- Space Flight Simulator to properly position the object.

But for this purpose, its still easier since it gives you lists, and computes the stop date for you.

orbitsimulator.com/orbiter/cfgData.exe

Thank you all for your help.

Tony, the link you provided (orbitsimulator.com/orbiter/cfgData.exe) doesn't seem to work. I am also unable to get to the site by it's IP (207.150.192.12). Is your server down?

It's been a long time since I did any real math. For 3d distances isn't it D=SQRT((x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2 + (z1-z2)^2)

Also, I noticed the spreadsheet, an excellent resources btw, doesn't have Earth on it :smile:

iamsomeguy said:
Thank you all for your help.

Tony, the link you provided (orbitsimulator.com/orbiter/cfgData.exe) doesn't seem to work. I am also unable to get to the site by it's IP (207.150.192.12). Is your server down?

It's been a long time since I did any real math. For 3d distances isn't it D=SQRT((x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2 + (z1-z2)^2)

Also, I noticed the spreadsheet, an excellent resources btw, doesn't have Earth on it :smile:
Your formula is right, but the data from Horizons is actually giving you x1-x2, ie position x of the sun - position x of mercury, so that part is done for you. Or you could look at it like position x,y,z sun (or whatever object has the @ sign in front of its ID number) is always 0,0,0, so the position for mercury is 0- xyz positions for mercury. The - signs go away as you square them.

The link seemed to work for me. I just tried it. Try it again. Maybe the server was down at that moment or slow. Maybe your browser's security levels prevent you from downloading executables.

Thank you.

The resources provided are incredible and I'm grateful for all your help.

And, I give thanks for Excel :smile:

1. What is the definition of relative planet distances?

Relative planet distances refer to the distance between two planets in relation to each other. It is often measured in astronomical units (AU), which is the average distance between the Earth and the Sun.

2. How do scientists calculate the relative distances between planets?

Scientists use a combination of astronomical observations and mathematical calculations to determine the relative distances between planets. They use data from spacecraft, telescopes, and other instruments to measure the planets' positions and orbits.

3. Can relative planet distances change over time?

Yes, relative planet distances can change over time due to the gravitational forces between planets. These forces can cause planets to move closer or farther away from each other, resulting in changes in their relative distances.

4. How can we use relative planet distances to find a date/start/destination distance?

To find a date/start/destination distance using relative planet distances, we need to know the relative distances between the planets at a specific date or time. We can then use the relative distances to calculate the actual distances between the planets at that time.

5. Why is it important for scientists to study relative planet distances?

Studying relative planet distances can help us understand the dynamics of our solar system and the universe. It also allows us to make predictions and observations about the movements and positions of planets, which can have practical applications for space exploration and navigation.