How can I find the shape of an orbit under an inverse cube law of force?

In summary, the author found an equation for the explicit integration of the shape, r(\theta), of a one-body-problem (a particle rotating about a set point, O) for arbitrary \mathbf{f} = -f(r)\hat{\mathbf{r}}, and used it to find r(\theta) for an inverse square law f(r) = \mu / r^2. Where u = (1/r). They were able to get r = r(\theta(t)) => \dot{r} = {{dr} \over {d\theta}} {{d\theta} \over {dt}} = {{dr}
bushdayroses

Homework Statement

I've found the a general form of equation for the explicit integration of the shape, [itex]r(\theta)[/itex], of a one-body-problem (a particle rotating about a set point, O) for arbitrary [itex]\mathbf{f} = -f(r)\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex], and used it to find [itex]r(\theta)[/itex] for an inverse square law [itex]f(r) = \mu / r^2[/itex]. Where [itex]u = (1/r)[/itex].

I was able to get [tex]r = r(\theta(t)) => \dot{r} = {{dr} \over {d\theta}} {{d\theta} \over {dt}} = {{dr} \over {d\theta}} \left({{h_0} \over {r^2}}\right)[/tex]

Where [itex]h_0 \neq 0[/itex] is the constant angular momentum.

Can anyone help me to figure out the shape under an inverse cube law of force, [itex]f(r) = {{\nu} / {r^3}}[/itex], and show that if [itex]\nu \le h^2[/itex], the orbit is unbounded?

I know that this solution will depend on the relative sizes of [itex]\nu[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex], but I can't seem to get this to work.EDIT:: Got LaTex to work

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to approach this problem is to use the substitution

[tex]r=\frac{1}{u}\mbox{ and u =}\frac{1}{r}[/tex]

then differentiate r with respect to t giving

[tex]\dot{r}=-\frac{1}{u^2}\frac{du}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

and

[tex]\dot{\theta}=\frac{L}{mr^2}[/tex]

This will give

[tex]\dot{r}=-\frac{L}{m}\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}\theta}[/tex]

Differentiate again with respect to t to find the second derivative of r in terms of u and theta. Write the general equation of motion for r in terms of F(r) and "centrigugal" force (L2/(mr3), and substitue the second derivative of r with respect to t. You will arrive at an equation of motion in terms of u and theta. This differential equation is easier to solve than straightforward methods. Once u is found substitue 1/r and solve for r.

Got it figured out. Thanks

1. What is Orbital Dynamics?

Orbital Dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in space under the influence of gravitational forces. It involves analyzing the orbits of planets, moons, satellites, and other celestial bodies and understanding how they are affected by various factors such as mass, velocity, and distance.

2. What is an Orbital Dynamics problem?

An Orbital Dynamics problem is a mathematical calculation that involves determining the motion and trajectory of an object in space. It typically involves using equations and principles of physics to predict the position and velocity of an object at a given point in time.

3. What are some common applications of Orbital Dynamics?

Orbital Dynamics has many practical applications, including space exploration, satellite communications, and understanding the behavior of celestial bodies in our solar system. It is also used in the design and maintenance of satellites and spacecraft, as well as in predicting and preventing collisions between objects in orbit.

4. What are some key concepts in Orbital Dynamics?

Some key concepts in Orbital Dynamics include Kepler's laws of planetary motion, Newton's law of universal gravitation, and the concept of escape velocity. Other important principles include orbital elements, orbital maneuvers, and perturbations caused by factors such as atmospheric drag and gravitational interactions with other objects.

5. How can I solve an Orbital Dynamics problem?

Solving an Orbital Dynamics problem involves understanding the relevant equations and principles, gathering appropriate data and values, and using mathematical techniques such as calculus and numerical methods to calculate the desired parameters. It is also important to consider any assumptions and simplifications that may affect the accuracy of the solution.