1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital Dynamics problem help

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've found the a general form of equation for the explicit integration of the shape, [itex]r(\theta)[/itex], of a one-body-problem (a particle rotating about a set point, O) for arbitrary [itex]\mathbf{f} = -f(r)\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex], and used it to find [itex]r(\theta)[/itex] for an inverse square law [itex]f(r) = \mu / r^2[/itex]. Where [itex]u = (1/r)[/itex].

I was able to get [tex]r = r(\theta(t)) => \dot{r} = {{dr} \over {d\theta}} {{d\theta} \over {dt}} = {{dr} \over {d\theta}} \left({{h_0} \over {r^2}}\right)[/tex]

Where [itex]h_0 \neq 0[/itex] is the constant angular momentum.

Can anyone help me to figure out the shape under an inverse cube law of force, [itex]f(r) = {{\nu} / {r^3}}[/itex], and show that if [itex]\nu \le h^2[/itex], the orbit is unbounded?

I know that this solution will depend on the relative sizes of [itex]\nu[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex], but I can't seem to get this to work.

EDIT:: Got LaTex to work

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2
    One way to approach this problem is to use the substitution

[tex]r=\frac{1}{u}\mbox{ and u =}\frac{1}{r}[/tex]

then differentiate r with respect to t giving

[tex]\dot{r}=-\frac{1}{u^2}\frac{du}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

and

[tex]\dot{\theta}=\frac{L}{mr^2}[/tex]

This will give

[tex]\dot{r}=-\frac{L}{m}\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}\theta}[/tex]

Differentiate again with respect to t to find the second derivative of r in terms of u and theta. Write the general equation of motion for r in terms of F(r) and "centrigugal" force (L2/(mr3), and substitue the second derivative of r with respect to t. You will arrive at an equation of motion in terms of u and theta. This differential equation is easier to solve than straightforward methods. Once u is found substitue 1/r and solve for r.

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3
    Got it figured out. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?