Orbital elements perturbations

In summary, the conversation is about a user introducing themselves on a forum and asking for recommendations on a tutorial for artificial Earth satellites orbit perturbations. One person suggests a book, Modern Astrodynamics, which covers the Earth's potential and perturbations from the Moon and another satellite, but not solar wind. The user is advised not to try and model solar wind as it is too complex.
dagmare
Hello! First I am new at this forum and would like to say hello to everybody :)
Second- I am looking for a good tutorial on artificial Earth satellites orbit perturbations. Can somebody give me an advice where I can find it? Do you know any propagation algorithms for artificial satellites that involves main perturbations (Earth's potential, solar pressure, 3rd body)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Bond and Allman, Modern Astrodynamics should help with ambient gravitational field of the Earth plus perturbations from Moon, a second satellite (not sure what you have in mind), but not, I think, solar wind buffeting. But you probably wouldn't try to model the latter anyway--- its too complicated.

Hi there, welcome to the forum! There are many resources available online for learning about orbital elements perturbations for artificial Earth satellites. Some good places to start would be NASA's Orbital Mechanics Education Kit and the University of Colorado's Orbital Mechanics for Engineering Students.

As for propagation algorithms, there are several commonly used ones such as the Cowell method, the Encke method, and the J2 perturbation method. Each method takes into account different perturbations, such as the Earth's potential, solar pressure, and third body effects. It would be beneficial to research and compare these methods to determine which one best suits your needs.

Additionally, there are also software programs available that can simulate and analyze satellite orbits, such as STK (Systems Tool Kit) and GMAT (General Mission Analysis Tool). These programs use advanced algorithms and allow for more accurate and detailed analysis of perturbations on satellite orbits.

I hope this helps guide you in your search for information on orbital elements perturbations for artificial Earth satellites. Good luck!

1. What are orbital elements perturbations?

Orbital elements perturbations refer to changes in the orbital parameters of a celestial body caused by external forces, such as the gravitational pull of other bodies or the effects of atmospheric drag.

2. What are the main sources of orbital elements perturbations?

The main sources of orbital elements perturbations are the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, such as planets and moons, and the effects of atmospheric drag on a spacecraft.

3. How do orbital elements perturbations affect spacecraft?

Orbital elements perturbations can affect spacecraft by altering their trajectory, causing them to deviate from their intended orbit. This can impact the accuracy of their operations and may require corrective maneuvers to maintain their desired orbit.

4. How do scientists account for orbital elements perturbations?

Scientists account for orbital elements perturbations by using mathematical models and simulations to predict the effects of external forces on a spacecraft's trajectory. They also constantly monitor the spacecraft's orbit and make adjustments as needed to maintain its intended path.

5. Can orbital elements perturbations be completely eliminated?

No, orbital elements perturbations cannot be completely eliminated. However, scientists and engineers work to minimize their impact by carefully planning and designing spacecraft trajectories and using precise navigation and control systems to make necessary corrections.