Is the Orbital Energy of a Comet Elliptic, Parabolic, or Hyperbolic?

In summary, a comet is first observed at a distance of 1/3 AU from the Sun and traveling at a speed of twice the Earth's orbital speed. Assuming that the Earth's orbit is circular, argue from an energy viewpoint whether the comet's orbit is elliptic, parabolic or hyperbolic.
student1938
A comet is first observed at a distance of 1/3 AU from the Sun and traveling at a speed of twice the Earth' s orbital speed. Assuming that the Earth' s orbit is circular, argue from an energy viewpoint whether the comet' s orbit is elliptic, parabolic or hyperbolic.

Now, I know the eccentricity equation but am genuinely lost here...any feedback would be really nice please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any advice would be great, guys...really I need help.

What's an AU?

What's the "eccentricity equation?" There are two regions for eccentricity. The values less than 1 are bounded below by the circular eccentricity, and the two regions are divided by the parabolic eccentricity.

Just calculate the total energy of the comet (which remains constant if gravity is assumed to be a conservative force) and then you can infer from the total energy what the eccentricity is, for instance, by looking here:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Eccentricity.html

Last edited:
I'm assuming that you know how to calculate the total energy of the Comet (KE+GPE).

If the total energy is negative, the orbit is elliptic.

If the total energy is zero, the orbit is parabolic.

And if the total energy if positive, the orbit is hyperbolic.

KE - GPE, isn't it?

Last edited:
Originally posted by enigma
KE - GPE, isn't it?

Remember, GPE is a negative term by itself, Thus in the equation you are adding a negative term.

Assuming that the Earth' s orbit is circular, argue from an energy viewpoint whether the comet' s orbit is elliptic, parabolic or hyperbolic.

This is the most confusing statement for me.. do I need to use the fact that the Earth' s orbit is circular(except for using this fact to calculate the circular ORBIT speed?)

Can someone clarify this point for me?

An orbit is circular only if it has the circular velocity:

[tex] V = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}} [/tex]

An orbit is parabolic if it has the escape velocity (parabolic is the first type of orbit which won't come back to the same point).

[tex]V_{esc} = \sqrt{2}V_{circ} [/tex]

An orbit is hyperbolic if it has more than the escape velocity

An orbit is elliptical for any other speed.

So I am supposed to use twice the circular velocity as per what the question says right?

Assuming that this is the case, then ,E = KE + PE
E = (1/2)*mass of comet*(2*circular velocity)^2 + -G*mass of spacecraft *mass of Earth/((1/3)*AU).. IS this the way it is supposed to go?

Why not do this:

[tex]V_{circ, Earth} = \sqrt{\frac{MG}{r_{Earth}}} [/tex]

[tex]V_{circ, comet} = \sqrt{\frac{MG}{r_{comet}}} [/tex]

[tex]V_{circ, comet} = \sqrt{\frac{MG}{\frac{1}{3}r_{Earth}}} [/tex]

[tex]V_{circ, comet} = \sqrt{3}V_{circ, Earth} [/tex]

Since you know the actual speed of the comet, you can figure out what its speed relative to the circular speed. That'll give you the type of orbit.

Thanks for the tip so now I can figure out the circular speed of the Earth...that gives me the Orbital speed of the comet and so I can then get the energy of teh comet and then determine the type of orbit..this is the way that I see it...is it correct

Yes, that's one way to do it.

You don't need to actually calculate the exact numbers if you don't want to... you can just leave everything in symbolic notation. They didn't ask for specific numbers; just the type of orbit, and that can be determined by relative speeds.

Thanks for the help...really eye opening

1. What is the Orbital Energy of a comet?

The Orbital Energy of a comet refers to the energy that is required to keep the comet in its orbit around the sun. It is a combination of the kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy due to its position in the gravitational field).

2. How is the Orbital Energy of a comet calculated?

The Orbital Energy of a comet is calculated using the formula E = -GMm/2a, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sun, m is the mass of the comet, and a is the semi-major axis of the comet's orbit.

3. What factors affect the Orbital Energy of a comet?

The Orbital Energy of a comet is affected by the mass of the comet, the mass of the sun, and the distance between the comet and the sun. The shape of the comet's orbit and any interactions with other celestial bodies can also affect its Orbital Energy.

4. Can the Orbital Energy of a comet change over time?

Yes, the Orbital Energy of a comet can change over time. This can occur due to interactions with other celestial bodies, such as planets or asteroids, or due to the comet's own activity such as outgassing or collisions.

5. How does the Orbital Energy of a comet affect its behavior?

The Orbital Energy of a comet plays a crucial role in determining its behavior. If the Orbital Energy is too high, the comet may escape the solar system or collide with a planet. If it is too low, the comet may fall into the sun or collide with another celestial body. Orbital Energy also affects the shape and size of the comet's orbit and the speed at which it travels through the solar system.