Computing 'Sound' Frequency of a Planet: Possible Methods?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of calculating the sound frequency of a planet, specifically Jupiter, and whether this concept is supported by science or falls into the realm of pseudoscience. The use of a Neptune tuning fork and its connection to the orbital path of planets is also mentioned. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that this concept is not scientifically supported and is considered pseudoscience.
Nineways
Is there an accurate method in computing the 'sound' frquency of a planet? For example, taking the orbital path of say Jupiter for one year, and computing it into an audible frequency? I'm looking for ways to compute this, but I am at a loss to where the best starting point is. Could Bohr's or Rutherford's methods be applied?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd suggest you're having trouble calculating it because you haven't defined what it is. What does an orbital path have to do with an audible frequency?

I suppose, on the face of it, if you were to calculate one period as one beat, then Jupiter's frequency is one beat per 12 years.

But it's kind of fanciful, since it's impossible to hear it.

Thanks for adding commentary Dave. This all started in one of my music classrooms, when someone brought in a tuning fork they said was a Neptune tuning fork - 211.44Hz. My first reaction was "what the heck is this". First let me be clear, I'm a music professor, and a psychologist, not a physicist. But I figured that by going to someone with a more profound depth than myself in Physics, would provide more insight.

I agree with you, "What does an orbital path have to do with an audible frequency?" - I looked at this in investigating the source of the tuning fork. There seems to be some 'screwy' math at work. The planets in our solar system all have one thing in common, they all go around the Sun in an orbital path. They also revolve on their own axis, but with different time ratios, and that could be said for the orbital path as well, because some are orbiting faster than the others around the Sun. I looked at Bohr's method of calculation regarding electrons orbiting an atom, having to do with something stable with objects moving around it, and wondered if this could be applied in this case? This tuning fork theory derives from a concept trying to equate a sound frequency (I suppose hypothetical) to a planet, and the math is tied to it's orbital path, which they call as a reference orbital frequency. Possibly we have reached a new level pf pseudoscience here. But I am trying to apply some logic that I can use to address this tuning fork.

The fact that sound has no medium to travel through in a vacuum, or the mistake that some people have that Schumann Waves are somehow the 'sound' of planet Earth, seems to defy some people's logic. What I am wondering, is there any science supporting this Neptune Tuning Fork, or have we simply fallen into a black hole of nonsensical thinking? Defining this is awkward at best. Can we assign a sound frequency to a planet at all? In any way possible?

Nineways said:
Possibly we have reached a new level pf pseudoscience here. ... have we simply fallen into a black hole of nonsensical thinking?
Yes. Pure woo-woo-ism.

From BioSonics.com:
Aligning to the energy of specific planets, the Planetary Tuners activate those qualities by creating a sympathetic resonance between the planets and yourself.
By consciously directing the energy of each planet for healing and well-being, the Planetary Tuners brings new dimensions to your Astrology readings, enhance bodywork and acupuncture sessions, or use for personal meditation and growth.
[Link deleted]

If you're looking to explore such an association, PF is probably the worst place to do so. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Yes. Pure woo-woo-ism.
Indeed. There is nothing scientific about this. It is pure nonsensical invention.
DaveC426913 said:
If you're looking to explore such an association, PF is probably the worst place to do so. :wink:
Indeed again. Discussion of pseudoscience is not allowed on PF, even for debunking.

Thread closed.

Likes Nineways

1. What is the Orbital Frequency of a planet?

The Orbital Frequency of a planet refers to the number of times a planet completes one orbit around its parent star in a given period of time. It is usually measured in terms of Earth years.

2. How is the Orbital Frequency of a planet calculated?

The Orbital Frequency of a planet is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

3. What factors can affect the Orbital Frequency of a planet?

The Orbital Frequency of a planet can be affected by its distance from its parent star, as well as the mass and gravitational pull of both the planet and the parent star.

4. Is the Orbital Frequency of a planet constant?

No, the Orbital Frequency of a planet is not always constant. It can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other planets or external forces acting on the planet.

5. How does the Orbital Frequency of a planet affect its climate?

The Orbital Frequency of a planet can have a significant impact on its climate. For example, a longer Orbital Frequency can lead to colder temperatures, while a shorter Orbital Frequency can result in warmer temperatures. This is due to the changes in distance from the parent star, which affects the amount of solar energy received by the planet.