Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital mechanics: anomaly at epoch -> time of periapsis passage?

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    Hi astrophysics people!

I am a programmer trying to teach myself the (very) basics of orbital mechanics for a simulation project. Thanks to previous discussions on the subject here, and some articles on Wikipedia, I think I have figured out most of the pieces.

There is still one thing left, though. Sometimes when I am collecting information about an orbit I have time of periapsis passage (call it Tp) and sometimes I have anomaly (call it m) at a given time (call it Tm).

(The reason why is that sometimes I have orbital data for well-known celestial bodies, like planets, but other times I only know that at Tm, when it was at anomaly m, the satellite entered the orbit in question for the first time.)

So the issue is that, as I understand it, the equations for predicting orbital position (v, r) and speed at a given future time depend on knowing Tp. That seems to mean that if I started with {m, Tm} that I need a way to figure out how long it takes to get from m to periapsis.

So my questions:

Is my understanding correct?

If so, how do you get Tp from {m, Tm}?

If not, what am I missing?

Thanks to everyone on this forum -- you have already been incredibly helpful. And I apologize if this is really simple, I just have not been able to wrap my head around it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted