Chemistry Orbits Representations Needed

In summary, you lost your Chemistry text and were looking for a way to remember the orbitals. A link to a representation of the orbitals was found.
Echo 6 Sierra
I've lost my Chemistry text :eek: and was wondering if anyone knew of any links that showed representations of what orbits may look like? In our halls I've seen wood models of 1p, 2p... but the text had MANY more and I can't remember the name even.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Gokul. Maybe now I can actually learn them and what their designations are.

Edit: Of course, if I knew what I was doing, I would have asked this in the chemistry forum. (pounds head on desk) I love/hate chemistry!

Last edited:
Too bad you (probably) don't know the maths.Else,i'm sure you would have found a method to draw them by hand,or using a comp.software.I've had a seminar in QM on pure & hybrid orbitals following the treatment in Cohen-Tannoudji,Diu & Laloë.It was interesting,making those plots.

You lost the book,shame about the money,it looks like your butt will meet the library's chairs :wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Too bad you (probably) don't know the maths.Else,i'm sure you would have found a method to draw them by hand,or using a comp.software.I've had a seminar in QM on pure & hybrid orbitals following the treatment in Cohen-Tannoudji,Diu & Laloë.It was interesting,making those plots.

You lost the book,shame about the money,it looks like your butt will meet the library's chairs :wink:

Daniel.

When did you learn the math for the orbitron dex?

There's not too much math.Calculus and that's it.And knowing how to plot a function in polar coordinates.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
There's not too much math.Calculus and that's it.And knowing how to plot a function in polar coordinates.

Daniel.

But *when* :wink:

(sorry for these consistent questions)

dextercioby said:
You lost the book,shame about the money,it looks like your butt will meet the library's chairs :wink: Daniel.
Not to much to worry on. It was a Chem1 text and I'm just trying to get situated for Chem2. Chem1 was a few years ago and I've forgotten most of it. I'll need to re-learn almost everything.

What are the different types of orbitals in chemistry?

In chemistry, there are four types of orbitals: s, p, d, and f. These orbitals differ in shape, size, and energy level.

How are orbitals represented in chemistry?

Orbitals are often represented using diagrams such as the Bohr model, the Lewis dot structure, or the molecular orbital theory. These diagrams show the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule.

Why are orbitals important in chemistry?

Orbitals are important in chemistry because they determine the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. They also help in predicting chemical reactions and understanding the electronic structure of elements.

What is the difference between atomic and molecular orbitals?

Atomic orbitals refer to the regions of space where an electron is most likely to be found around a single atom. Molecular orbitals, on the other hand, refer to the regions of space where electrons are shared between two or more atoms in a molecule.

How many electrons can occupy each orbital?

The maximum number of electrons that can occupy each orbital depends on its type. S orbitals can hold up to 2 electrons, p orbitals can hold up to 6 electrons, d orbitals can hold up to 10 electrons, and f orbitals can hold up to 14 electrons.