Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital models

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    I've lost my Chemistry text :eek: and was wondering if anyone knew of any links that showed representations of what orbits may look like? In our halls I've seen wood models of 1p, 2p... but the text had MANY more and I can't remember the name even.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    Thanks Gokul. Maybe now I can actually learn them and what their designations are.

Edit: Of course, if I knew what I was doing, I would have asked this in the chemistry forum. (pounds head on desk) I love/hate chemistry!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  5. Jun 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Too bad you (probably) don't know the maths.Else,i'm sure you would have found a method to draw them by hand,or using a comp.software.I've had a seminar in QM on pure & hybrid orbitals following the treatment in Cohen-Tannoudji,Diu & Laloë.It was interesting,making those plots.

You lost the book,shame about the money,it looks like your butt will meet the library's chairs :wink:

Daniel.

6. Jun 13, 2005 #5
    When did you learn the math for the orbitron dex?

7. Jun 13, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's not too much math.Calculus and that's it.And knowing how to plot a function in polar coordinates.

Daniel.

8. Jun 13, 2005 #7
    But *when* :wink:

(sorry for these consistent questions)

9. Jun 13, 2005 #8
  10. Jun 13, 2005 #9
    Not to much to worry on. It was a Chem1 text and I'm just trying to get situated for Chem2. Chem1 was a few years ago and I've forgotten most of it. I'll need to re-learn almost everything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?