1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital motion

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    I want to know the difference between the 2 types of rotations shown in the picture attached .

planetary orbiting are similar to the second figure in the picture attached , all i wanna know what is the difference between the 2 figures .

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      20.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Is this homework? What do you think the difference is?

4. Jul 26, 2009 #3
    it is not a homework , I am lost between 2 facts . in order to have a tilting while rotating there must be another force that is causing a moment about the center of the sphere , in one case it exist in the other it dosent , if for example a rocket that has a certain thrust pass by a planet it would be affected by the gravitationl force for of the planet , why the rocket would yaw while it starts revolving around the planet , and if it wont yaw than it will come to a point where the thrust force will be opposed to the gravitational force , which is not the case in orbiting object satelite or rocket or whatever , cause while they are orbiting they yaw naturally and their thrust force will become tangential to the trajectory , thats what am not understanding properly , why the rocket or anything that is orbiting would yaw while it is revolving ? the second figure in my added picture u saw that the orbiting obejct did not yaw ...

5. Jul 26, 2009 #4
    That isn't yaw, its appears to be precession. The 2nd one is 'spinning' on its axis and its axis is precessing like a top in a gravity field.

6. Jul 26, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't know if the dot on the olive looking things are meant to be the axis of rotation, but if not, it just looks like in one drawing the olive looking things are rotating and in the other, they aren't. It looks kinda like the way the moon rotates...

7. Jul 27, 2009 #6
    The body orbiting the more massive body would have had an initial angular momentum. Because gravity between widely separated bodies is a central force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook