1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Orbital Period

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Halley’s Comet passed perihelion on 9 February 1986. It has a semi-major axis
    a = 17.96 AU and eccentricity e = 0.9673. (One astronomical unit (AU) is the distance
    between the Earth and the Sun.) Calculate the period of Halley’s Comet and the
    approximate date on which you might next see it.

2. Relevant equations

Period = T = 2pi(sqrt(a^3/u)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I realize all this information is available over the internet but I need to work it out by hand.
    I attempted this question first using the value for 'a' given and the standard gravitational parameter (u) of earth 3.986E14 but realised this is wrong and that halley's comet would have a different value of (u). I assume the equation for the value of (u) of halley's comet will be related to its eccentricity but can't seem to work it out. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In determining (u), what does Halley's comet orbit?

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    i just assumed from the question that it was orbiting earth.

5. Sep 2, 2010 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do comets typically orbit?

6. Sep 2, 2010 #5
    thats a very bad assumption. they orbit the sun and i can just look that value up. but using what ive been given and only those values is it possible to work this question out?

7. Sep 2, 2010 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:eek:

It is an excellent assumption.

carney, I give you my blessing to assume your calculations are meant to have Halley's comet orbitng the Sun, not Earth.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook