Orbital Perturbations: Solving for Equations of Motion in Elliptical Orbits

In summary, the question is about determining the equations of motion for a planet in a circular orbit around a star after a small radial push. Relevant equations include Kepler's orbital radius and orbital energy. The proposed solution involves adding a sinusoidal term to the equation, but this does not work. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using a Taylor expansion and the constancy of angular momentum in a radial push. A hint is given that only orbital energy will change in this situation.
Konchock Dawa

Homework Statement

Say I have some planet in a circular orbit around a star, and I give it a small radial push (directly toward or directly away from the star). How would I describe the new orbit? I.e. how would I determine the equations of motion? h

Homework Equations

Kepler orbital radius: r(φ)=c/(1+εcos(φ)) where c=(L^2)/(γμ).

Also possibly relevant, orbital energy: E=(γ^2)μ((ε^2)-1)/(2L^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My intuitive hypothesis is that the new orbit should be elliptical. A circular orbit has constant radius r(φ)=c, and we have already proved in this class that the radius after a small push will oscillate with a period equal to the orbital period, so it seems like if we just add a sinusoidal term, r(φ)=c+Asin(φ) we should be able to get the equation in the elliptical form r(φ)=c/(1+εcos(φ)) but that doesn't seem to work. I have a hunch that I'm supposed to do some sort of a Taylor expansion, but I don't know which function I would expand. It also seems like, since a push would change the angular momentum L, we should be able to replace L with L+δ and again get something of the form r(φ)=c/(1+εcos(φ)). Is any of this heading in the right direction? Have spent many hours on this problem and could use a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the push is radial, then I think it won't change the angular momentum. A radial force does not result in any torque, and if there is no torque, there can be no change in angular momentum. So only the orbital energy will change. If you assume E changes and L does not, then you can compute the new value of eccentricity.

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. What are orbital perturbations?

Orbital perturbations refer to the small changes or disturbances in the trajectory of an orbiting object, caused by external forces such as gravitational interactions with other objects or atmospheric drag.

2. How do you solve for equations of motion in elliptical orbits?

To solve for equations of motion in elliptical orbits, we use Kepler's laws of planetary motion and Newton's laws of motion. These laws can be used to derive the equations of motion, which can then be solved using numerical methods or analytical techniques.

3. What factors can affect orbital perturbations?

Orbital perturbations can be affected by various factors such as the gravitational pull of other objects, atmospheric drag, solar radiation pressure, and the oblateness of the central body.

4. Why is it important to understand orbital perturbations?

Understanding orbital perturbations is crucial for accurately predicting the motion of objects in space, such as satellites and spacecraft. It also helps in planning and executing orbital maneuvers and avoiding collisions with other objects.

5. Can orbital perturbations be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate orbital perturbations as they are a natural part of the orbital motion of objects in space. However, their effects can be minimized through careful planning and precise control of orbital maneuvers.