Orbital Precession in the Schwarzschild and Kerr Metrics - Comments

In summary, the post discusses Orbital Precession in the Schwarzschild and Kerr metrics and how it can be used to study orbits that are unstable in the outside $r$ frame.
Bill_K_Insights
Bill_K submitted a new PF Insights post

Orbital Precession in the Schwarzschild and Kerr Metrics

Schwarzschild-.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice post! There's a typo:

Outside $r = 6m$, oscillations are stable.

I guess you need something like two pound signs to do math here, not a dollar sign. Also, there are a number of bad line breaks - Wordpress blogs are unforgiving when you hit the carriage return.

What I'd really love to see is a study of orbits in a Kerr metric that describes a 'super-extremal' black hole, one with ##J^2 > M^2##. These could get pretty weird!

Thanks for the Post!

Could someone explain where the conclusion about the photon orbits come from, i.e. that they exist for vanishing denominators of ##L## and ##\Gamma##?

john baez said:
What I'd really love to see is a study of orbits in a Kerr metric that describes a 'super-extremal' black hole, one with ##J^2 > M^2##. These could get pretty weird!
Good idea! I went away and commented out the horizon calculations in my own minimal simulator (I started a thread for it but struggling to find it ATM!), and tried a fairly complex bound 3+1D orbit with a = 1.1 and a = 1.5. Both produced "valid" orbits. It seems on the face of it that the equations of motion do not care about the existence of horizons ;)

For info, the equations I use are from this paper for the Kerr-deSitter spacetime, and previously the seminal Wilkins paper. Both are full 3+1D solutions based on Hamilton-Jacobi analysis.

Thanks! You may know about this article; it's not about the geodesics just the geometry of the Kerr solution, with a reasonable amount of detail on the 'ring singularity' and the closed timelike curves it gives rise to - those were my main concerns this weekend:
I just noticed this:
  • Leonardo Gualtieri and Valeria Ferrari, Black Holes in General Relativity, http://www.roma1.infn.it/teongrav/leonardo/bh/bhcap4.pdf.
You may know all this stuff, but it seems nice.

Likes m4r35n357
The first one is new to me (reading now, thanks), but I have seen the latter, very nice derivations for 2+1D and 3+1D. I wonder why the authors stopped short of providing equations for ##\frac {d t} {d \tau}## and ##\frac {d \phi} {d \tau}## though.

This is an issue ATM because I think I have found a disagreement between Wilkins and Kraniotis et. al. in the ##\Theta## potential . . . my eyes say so and so does Maxima.

[EDIT] pardon this but I've just showed in Maxima that they are equal after all. Since the Kerr-deSitter ##\Theta## potential is simpler, I shall use it for Kerr (##\Lambda = 0##) simulations in preference to the form in Wilkins.

Last edited:
Very nicely, clearly, and succinctly presented - thank you for this :)

1. What is orbital precession in the Schwarzschild and Kerr metrics?

Orbital precession refers to the rotation or shift of an orbiting object's path over time due to the influence of gravitational forces. In the Schwarzschild and Kerr metrics, this phenomenon is observed in the orbits of objects around a massive, rotating black hole.

2. How is orbital precession affected by the Schwarzschild and Kerr metrics?

In the Schwarzschild metric, orbital precession is caused by the curvature of space-time around a non-rotating black hole. In the Kerr metric, the rotation of the black hole also contributes to the precession of orbits. Both metrics can result in significant changes to the shape and orientation of an orbit over time.

3. What factors influence the rate of orbital precession?

The rate of orbital precession in the Schwarzschild and Kerr metrics is influenced by several factors, including the mass and spin of the black hole, the distance between the orbiting object and the black hole, and the initial velocity and direction of the orbiting object.

4. How does orbital precession impact our understanding of black holes?

Orbital precession provides evidence for the presence of massive, rotating black holes, as it is a consequence of the strong gravitational effects of such objects. It also allows scientists to study the properties of black holes, such as their mass and spin, by measuring the precession rates of nearby objects.

5. Can the effects of orbital precession be observed in real life?

Yes, the effects of orbital precession in the Schwarzschild and Kerr metrics have been observed and confirmed through various astronomical observations, such as the precession of the orbit of Mercury around the Sun. These observations have helped to validate the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity.