Unlocking the Mystery of Satellite Speed: Solving an Elliptical Orbit

In summary, Kepler's Laws tell you that an object sweeps out equal area in equal times, and that the area is the product of the radius and the time it takes to sweep the area.
hellothere123

Homework Statement

A satellite is in an elliptical orbit at altitudes ranging from 230 to 890 km. At the high point it's moving at 7.23 km/s. How fast is it moving at the low point?

I would think i would have to use some sort of energy conservation equations. but i really don't know where to begin or how to set this up. any help would be greatly appreciated!. i would like to learn how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why it wouldn't be 7.23 km/s at the low point...

hellothere123 said:

Homework Statement

A satellite is in an elliptical orbit at altitudes ranging from 230 to 890 km. At the high point it's moving at 7.23 km/s. How fast is it moving at the low point?

I would think i would have to use some sort of energy conservation equations. but i really don't know where to begin or how to set this up. any help would be greatly appreciated!. i would like to learn how to do this.

What does Kepler's Laws tell you about sweeping equal areas in equal times?

kepler's law says they sweep out equal area in equal times. but i do not know how much area they are sweeping and how long it takes to sweep the equal area.

hellothere123 said:
kepler's law says they sweep out equal area in equal times. but i do not know how much area they are sweeping and how long it takes to sweep the equal area.

Consider the velocity at aphelion and perihelion. At these 2 points they are moving ⊥ to the radius. Now you know that V = Δx/Δt For any small fixed Δt then you have a Δx and the radial distance.

Looking at the area of the triangle formed by this Δx and can't you say with some certainty that the areas will be equal, by Kepler's Law? A = 1/2*b*h.
So ...

1/2*Δx1*r1 = 1/2*Δx2*Δr2

Simplifying and dividing by Δt can't you say then that

V1*r1 = V2*r2?

well i did some crazy stuff and got it to work :P
but i tried with the v1r1 = v2r2, doesn't give me the right answer. i did 1/2 mv^2 + mgh where i found g at that height and it magically gave me the answer. so, did i get lucky? or did i do it right?

hellothere123 said:
well i did some crazy stuff and got it to work :P
but i tried with the v1r1 = v2r2, doesn't give me the right answer. i did 1/2 mv^2 + mgh where i found g at that height and it magically gave me the answer. so, did i get lucky? or did i do it right?

Don't forget that r1 = Re + Altitude1 and r2 = Re + Altitude2. Where Re is the radius of earth.

ahh you are right. i did not account for that. thanks for all the help!

1. How does the speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit differ from a circular orbit?

The speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit varies throughout its orbit, while the speed of a satellite in a circular orbit remains constant. In an elliptical orbit, the satellite travels faster when it is closer to the object it is orbiting and slower when it is farther away.

2. What factors determine the speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit?

The speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit is influenced by the mass of the object it is orbiting, the distance between the satellite and the object, and the shape of the orbit. The larger the mass of the object and the closer the satellite is to it, the faster the satellite will travel.

3. How is the speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit calculated?

The speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit can be calculated using Kepler's laws of planetary motion. This involves determining the semi-major axis of the orbit, which is the average distance between the satellite and the object it is orbiting, and the eccentricity of the orbit, which describes how elongated the orbit is.

4. Can the speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit be changed?

Yes, the speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit can be altered by changing the shape of the orbit. This can be achieved by firing the satellite's thrusters at specific points in the orbit, known as orbital maneuvers. These maneuvers can increase or decrease the speed of the satellite.

5. Why is it important to understand the speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit?

Understanding the speed of a satellite in an elliptical orbit is crucial for ensuring the satellite stays in its intended orbit and performs its intended functions. It also allows for precise calculations and adjustments to be made to the orbit, ensuring the satellite remains in a stable and efficient orbit.