Calculating Orbital Radius for Hydrogen Atom with Given Angular Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the orbital radii of a Hydrogen atom using classical mechanics, but it is pointed out that the electron follows the laws of quantum mechanics. The calculation uses the centripetal and electrostatic forces and a given angular velocity of 10^16 s^-1, resulting in a radius of 13.61 * 10^-11. However, this value may not be relevant in the quantum mechanics model and may not correspond to the first Bohr radius.
psy
Hey guys,

The following thing got me a little bit messed up.

I want to calculate the orbital radii of an Hydrogen atom if the angular velocity of the electron is 10^16 * s^-1.

At first i set the centripetal force and the electrostatic force as equals.

( m * v^2 )/ r =k * (e^2) / r^2

v = ω * r

( m * ω^2 * r^2) / r = k * (e^2) / r^2

r ^3 = k * (e^2) / ( m * ω^2 )

r^3 = 8,99 * 10^9 Nm^2 / C * (1,60 * 10^-19 C )^2 / 9.11 10^-31 Kg * (10^16 s^-1 )^2

r^3 = (23,015 * 10^-29 Nm^2 C ) / 91,1 Kg/s^2

r =13,61 * 10^-11

While the Hydrogen radii is 0,52 * 10^-10 , I am checking it over and over again and can't find where i messed up.
Can someone tell me where i was wrong with the calculation?

Kind Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
psy said:
Can someone tell me where i was wrong with the calculation?
You are using classical mechanics, and the electron obeys the laws of quantum mechanics not classical mechanics.

In quantum mechanics the electron has no definite speed or position and does not follow a circular path around the nucleus the way the planets orbit the sun; instead we just have some probability of finding it in some spot near the nucleus if we look for it there. That ##5.2\times{10}^{-11}## radius is where that probability peaks.

(Googling for "hydrogen radius" will find many more links and the wikipedia article is not bad, but the math may quickly move past what belongs in a B-level thread).

Hi, I am coming to this cold but where does your initial figure for the angular velocity of the electron come from? This chosen value has to be right to get the right orbit radius.
Your starting equation looks ok (if k is given the right value) for a classical orbit. This Hyperphysics link starts in much the same way but the process is in terms of Energy. Start from a different direction, perhaps? (With QM in mind)

In the exercise I am doing its supposed that the electron moves in a circular orbit around the proton with the given velocity,
so I am tryng the classical mechanics with the centripetal and electrostatic force,where i can plug in the velocity of 10^16 s^-1 .

As the k I used 1/ 4*π*ε = 8,99 * 10^9 Nm/C^2 .

Why would you expect to get the value of the first Bohr radius? You get the radius corresponding to that velocity, in the classical mechanics framework.
It may be the right answer even it may irrelevant from the point of view of QM model. Even in the semi-classical Bohr model, there are more than one possible values for the radius of the orbit.

psy said:
In the exercise I am doing its supposed that the electron moves in a circular orbit around the proton with the given velocity,
so I am tryng the classical mechanics with the centripetal and electrostatic force,where i can plug in the velocity of 10^16 s^-1 .

As the k I used 1/ 4*π*ε = 8,99 * 10^9 Nm/C^2 .
So don't worry. You got an answer but it's not surprising its the Bohr radius because it makes different assumptions.

1. How is orbital radius calculated?

The orbital radius of an object is calculated using the formula: r = (G * M * T2) / (4 * π2), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and T is the orbital period.

2. What is the unit of measurement for orbital radius?

The unit of measurement for orbital radius is typically meters (m) or kilometers (km). However, other units such as miles (mi) or astronomical units (AU) may also be used depending on the context.

3. Can the orbital radius of an object change?

Yes, the orbital radius of an object can change due to factors such as gravitational pull from other objects, changes in velocity, or changes in the mass of the object itself.

4. How does the orbital radius affect the orbit of an object?

The orbital radius directly affects the size and shape of an object's orbit. A larger orbital radius will result in a wider and longer orbit, while a smaller orbital radius will result in a tighter and shorter orbit.

5. What is the significance of calculating orbital radius?

Calculating the orbital radius is important in understanding the dynamics of objects in space, such as planets orbiting a star or satellites orbiting a planet. It allows scientists to predict and study the movements and interactions of these objects, which can provide valuable insights into the workings of the universe.