1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital radius

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    see problem 9 attachment

2. Relevant equations
    see problem 9 attempt attachment

3. The attempt at a solution
    I come up with a solution that is much smaller than any of the choices. I do not know if I am to assume the orbital is circular. I do not know if there is another error besides that in my work.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2

You need not assume that the orbit is circular. Use one of Kepler's Laws (which applies for both circular and elliptical orbits).
  4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    ok if I use kepler's third law would I start by using moon II orbital period and radius to solve for the mass of the planet?
  5. Nov 30, 2008 #4
    You don't need to solve for the planet's mass. Remember that R^3 is proportional to T^2, and that must hold for all objects orbiting a body. Hence R^3/T^2 = constant.
  6. Nov 30, 2008 #5
    ok so I can find that ratio from moon II data and then multiply that ratio by T^2 of moon III?
  7. Nov 30, 2008 #6
    yup, that is right
  8. Nov 30, 2008 #7
    thank you for your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?