Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital shape

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    im having a little trouble trying to picture an atom in my head with accurate electron cloud designee and shape can someone give me some pictures or a site that might help.
    every picture i ever see of an atom is with the electron orbital in curricular shapes but i know there is a wide eray of different orbital shapes.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    thank you that is actualy a good site. but im also having troubles getting to imagine how it moves through these orbital and back to the ground state and then back to the other orbitals

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4

alxm

Science Advisor

Well, s - 1 lobe, p - 2 lobes, d - 4 lobes and so on.

It's really highly analogous to a standing wave (on a string or whatever) only in three dimensions.

Molecular orbitals, in turn, can be visualized as combinations of atomic ones.

6. Apr 15, 2010 #5
    ok but is there maybe i computer generated video i could watch of an electron going from a ground state to an excited state with complicated orbitals such as an excited oxygen atom

7. Apr 15, 2010 #6
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook