Orbital Space Plane Program - Pros and Cons

In summary, the Orbital Space Plane program is receiving mixed reviews. Some people are in favor of it because of the added abort options, while others are concerned about the cost and risk.

Do you support the Orbital Space Plane prog. ?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Don't know/care

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

What do you think of the Orbital Space Plane program ?
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=870
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/rlv-03a.html

I realize the articles already express opinions on
the subject so you can search other sources for more
info of course. But, they were the quickest for me to find
and I have to say I agree with the spaceref article and all the reasons. I mean, investing billions of dollars that are so
much for current NASA budgets just to build something
that can already be done and is done by the Soyuz spacecraft
sounds totally crazy to me. Or at least, if they still wan'na
build something like that they could just take some older
plans replace everything with new technology and spare
lots of money and time on designing and testing it - in
the spirit of Goldin's old approach. It seems right now
that at a time when NASA has to start doing its best and
be at its most efficient by getting us back in space
with more massive research using the ISS and a boost
to its capabilities, new ambitious interplanetary probes
a start of the initial preparations for the manned Mars
mission and a new down-to-Earth program for the next gen.
space shuttle, instead it's policies are causing us to
sink even deeper into the dirt (pun certainly intended).
The SS economical failure, the X-33 program failure,
the X-34 that was supposed to do the same thing as this
"plane", and they couldn't even build the ISS as it
was supposed to be. Don't get me wrong but in my opinion
these guys are really astronauts... in the sometimes negative
meaning of the word. :wink: :frown:

Live long and prosper.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At first, it seemed to me that the development of a space plane would serve as a useful addition to space exploration. The OSP would have some advantages over the shuttle, mainly the added abort options and probably the cost of launch would be lower. But after reading the new links, I am not so sure. I think think NASA should be seeking somthing else besides the OSP or maybe a modified OSP. Currently, the OSP does not have the capacity or vercitiliy that exists with the shuttle. I don't know the numbers, but it is unlikly that the OSP can makeup the difference in payload with additional cheeper trips. The new plane should be able to replace the shuttle and not suplement it. After all, the shuttles arn't getting any younger and space exploration will be extreamly limited if there is not a replacement when the shuttles are retired.

Well, that's the whole point - instead of finally replacing
the shuttle with something cheaper, safer and generally
more effective, they wan'na waste much of their relativly
low funding on a small crew taxy. I'd understand it if they
really needed it - but even that is not the case.

Live long and prosper.

Space Planes

Well First off we already have an orbital space plane with great payload capacity. The question is not do we need one, because that answer is yes. The question is should we commercialize it. The answer is not yet. When I read this post the first thing came to mind was unnecessary risk. Let's keep the cost and risk of space travel to a minimum, leave space for the astronauts and scientists for now, but give them the best tools to work with. If that mean redesigning the orbitor for a larger crew so be it.

Space Planes

Well First off we already have an orbital space plane with great payload capacity. The question is not do we need one, because that answer is yes. The question is should we commercialize it. The answer is not yet. When I read this post the first thing came to mind was unnecessary risk. Let's keep the cost and risk of space travel to a minimum, leave space for the astronauts and scientists for now, but give them the best tools to work with. If that mean redesigning the orbitor for a larger crew so be it.

1. What is the purpose of the Orbital Space Plane Program?

The Orbital Space Plane Program, also known as OSP or the Orbital Space Plane, was a proposed spacecraft development program by NASA in the early 2000s. Its purpose was to create a reusable space vehicle that could transport crew and cargo to and from the International Space Station (ISS).

2. What were the pros of the Orbital Space Plane Program?

One of the main pros of the Orbital Space Plane Program was its potential to reduce costs and increase efficiency for transporting crew and cargo to the ISS. The program also aimed to improve safety for astronauts by providing a reliable and reusable mode of transportation.

3. What were the cons of the Orbital Space Plane Program?

One of the main cons of the Orbital Space Plane Program was its high cost. The program was estimated to cost over $5 billion, and NASA ultimately decided to cancel it due to budget constraints. Additionally, there were concerns about the reliability and safety of the proposed spacecraft.

4. What was the proposed design of the Orbital Space Plane?

The Orbital Space Plane was planned to be a reusable, winged vehicle that could carry up to seven crew members and cargo to and from the ISS. It was designed to launch on top of a rocket and land on a runway, similar to the Space Shuttle. The spacecraft would have been powered by a combination of rocket engines and jet engines.

5. What ultimately happened to the Orbital Space Plane Program?

Despite years of development and testing, the Orbital Space Plane Program was ultimately cancelled by NASA in 2006. The agency decided to focus on developing the Orion spacecraft instead, which is currently being used to transport crew and cargo to the ISS. Some technology from the Orbital Space Plane Program was incorporated into other projects, but the OSP itself was never fully realized.