Calculating the Orbital Speed of Mars: An Easy Guide

In summary, the orbital speed of Mars can be calculated using the formula 2*Pi*r/Period, where r is the distance from the planet to the sun and Period is the time it takes for Mars to complete one orbit. In this case, the orbital speed of Mars is approximately 54,780 mph. This can be derived from the given information of Mars being 230 million km from the sun and having an orbital period of 687 days.
rsyodoom2005
orbital speed of mars! help!?

Mars is 230 million km from the sun. It completes one orbit in a period of approximately 687 days. Calculate the orbital speed of Mars in mph.

OK so gave me the formula which 2*pi*r/ Period r= distance from the planet to the sun. and cirmumference = 2*pi* r

So i set it up 2*3.1416* 150E6 km /16488 hours (mars hours)

= 57161.57 km/hr then convert to mph 57161.57km hour/1.60km =35725.98 mph

Physics news on Phys.org
rsyodoom2005 said:
Mars is 230 million km from the sun. It completes one orbit in a period of approximately 687 days. Calculate the orbital speed of Mars in mph.

OK so gave me the formula which 2*pi*r/ Period r= distance from the planet to the sun.

I really don't get what you mean by this. what is equal to what? Nor do I understand
any of the rest of the calculations.

You could use that the centripetal acceleration of a planet is proportional to v^2/r
and the acceleration due to gravity is proportional to 1/r^2 and equal to the centripetal
acceleration.

since for the Earth c_1 * v^2/r = c_2 /r^2 this must also be valid for Mars with the same constants.

In order to send a spacecraft to the planet Mars you will need to complete some basic orbital equations using Kepler's law of orbits. In the next few Mars Math Questions, we will look at ways engineers calculate this by introducing you to some basic equations and formulas.

. Mars is 230 million km from the sun. It completes one orbit in a period of approximately 687 days. Calculate the orbital speed of Mars in mph.

The equation to determine orbital speed is 2*Pi*r/Period. r = Distance from the planet to the sun. Circumference = 2*Pi*r

So i set it up 2*3.1416* 230E6 km /16488 hours (mars hours) = 87647.74 km/hour

now to convert mph i divided by the conversion factor of 1.60 which gave me 54779.83 mph (orbital speed of mars)??

Oh I see, you get both the period and the radius, so you don't need Keplers laws or acceleration and gravity, but you can just use circumference/period to get the orbital speed.
Your calculation is now correct.

rsyodoom2005

I'd advise you to attempt the WAS math problems on your own. This can be considered cheating.

Not only is it cheating, but its a very easy problem. They give you the formulas... all you need to do is plug the numbers in...

1. What is the orbital speed of Mars?

The average orbital speed of Mars around the sun is about 24.1 kilometers per second, or 53,979 miles per hour.

2. How does the orbital speed of Mars compare to Earth's?

Mars' orbital speed is slower than Earth's, as Earth travels around the sun at an average speed of 29.78 kilometers per second, or 66,629 miles per hour.

3. Does Mars' orbital speed change?

Yes, Mars' orbital speed changes as it orbits around the sun. Its speed is fastest when it is closest to the sun (perihelion) and slowest when it is farthest from the sun (aphelion).

4. How is the orbital speed of Mars measured?

The orbital speed of Mars is calculated by dividing the distance it travels around the sun in one year by the time it takes to complete one orbit. This gives us the average orbital speed.

5. Why is it important to know the orbital speed of Mars?

Understanding the orbital speed of Mars is important for space missions and spacecrafts that travel to and from the planet. It also helps scientists study the effects of its orbit on the planet's climate and weather patterns.