1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbiting a charged planet.

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    If I am orbiting a charged planet that is like being in free-fall around the planet.
    So would I see a B field in my frame? Is me orbiting the planet the same as me floating in space and have the planet rotate.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You would see a magnetic field. If you are charged as well, it would give an additional force downwards/upwards (depending on the charges).
    If the charge is distributed on the surface (or the whole volume), a rotating planet would give a magnetic field, too - it would look different, but its shape really depends on the system where the field is calculated.

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    yes;no

5. Sep 16, 2012 #4
    What if I was orbiting inside a spherical shell with charge on it, would I see a B field then?
    The E field would be zero inside the charged shell.

6. Sep 16, 2012 #5
    as would the magnetic field...assuming the charge is uniformly distributed....

7. Sep 16, 2012 #6
    B field inside a spinning charged sphere is constant and positive

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook