Orbiting satellite question

• Thread starter ys2050
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, to determine the altitude of a remote-sensing satellite traveling in a circular orbit at a constant speed of 8.2x10^3m/s, you can use the equation GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r, but you must subtract one Earth radius from the result to get the correct answer. This is a common trick used in exams, so be aware of it.
ys2050
A remote-sensing satellite travels in a circular orbit at a constant speed of 8.2x10^3m/s. Determine the altitude above Earth's surface.

I thought that I should do GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r and solve for r
but if I do it that way i get a wrong answer.
Instead, if I do mg = mv/r^2 and find r, I get the right answer...
For all the other questions involving satellites and space telescopes and stuff, I always used GMm/r^2 somehow... but how come i just use mg for this question?

Thanks for you help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ys2050 said:
A remote-sensing satellite travels in a circular orbit at a constant speed of 8.2x10^3m/s. Determine the altitude above Earth's surface.

Sounds like numerical coincidence to me. Read the question you are to answer again. The equation you used,

GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r ,

is correct. However, this will give you the radius of the satellite's orbit. They asked for the altitude of the satellite, so you have to subtract one Earth radius from your answer. (The radius of the orbit is measured from the center of Earth, while the altitude is measured from its surface.)

I will give you the standard warning that this is a favorite "dirty trick" used on exams, particularly in multiple choice questions (including the SAT, GRE, AP Physics, etc.).

I understand your confusion about using different equations and methods to solve for the altitude of the orbiting satellite. It is important to note that the equations and methods used in physics are dependent on the specific scenario and the variables involved. In this case, the remote-sensing satellite is traveling in a circular orbit, which means it is experiencing a centripetal force towards the center of the orbit. This force is provided by the gravitational force between the satellite and the Earth.

When using the equation GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r, we are equating the centripetal force (GMm/r^2) with the force required to maintain a circular orbit (mv^2/r). However, in this scenario, we do not have the mass of the satellite (m) or the radius of the orbit (r) given. This is why when you solve for r using this equation, you get the wrong answer.

On the other hand, when using the equation mg = mv/r^2, we are equating the weight of the satellite (mg) with the force required to maintain a circular orbit (mv/r^2). In this case, we do not need to know the mass of the satellite or the radius of the orbit, as we can use the acceleration due to gravity (g) and the speed of the satellite (v) to solve for the altitude (r). This method is more appropriate for this scenario as it only involves variables that are given in the question.

In summary, it is important to carefully consider the variables and equations involved in a physics problem and choose the most appropriate method to solve for the desired quantity. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. How does an orbiting satellite stay in space?

An orbiting satellite stays in space through a combination of its own momentum and the gravitational pull of the object it is orbiting. Once a satellite reaches a certain speed, it can maintain a stable orbit around the Earth without any additional propulsion.

2. What factors affect the orbit of a satellite?

The orbit of a satellite can be affected by several factors, including the mass and gravitational pull of the object it is orbiting, the altitude and speed of the satellite, and any external forces such as atmospheric drag or gravitational forces from other objects in space.

3. How high above the Earth does a satellite orbit?

The height of a satellite's orbit can vary depending on its purpose and the type of orbit. Most satellites orbit within a few hundred kilometers above the Earth's surface, while others may orbit tens of thousands of kilometers away.

4. How does a satellite communicate with Earth?

Satellites communicate with Earth through radio waves. They have specialized transmitters and receivers that allow them to send and receive signals from ground stations. The ground stations then relay the signals to other locations on Earth.

5. Can orbiting satellites collide with each other?

While it is possible for satellites to collide with each other, the likelihood is very low. Scientists track the orbits of satellites and can make adjustments to avoid potential collisions. However, space debris and malfunctioning satellites can pose a greater risk for collisions.