Satellite Orbiting: Speed, Period, Altitude Calc.

• Thread starter squeak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary: So now I have the total mechanical energy as -1.7 x 105 x 1500 = -2.55 x 108.Using the formula for specific mechanical energy, I can solve for r and then find the altitude by subtracting the radius of Earth. Then I can use the formula for velocity in circular orbit and the period formula to find the speed and period of the satellite. Finally, I can use the total energy to find the magnitude of the average retarding force on the satellite. In summary, the speed and period of the satellite in an approximately circular orbit 610 km above the surface of Earth are determined by using the equations for specific mechanical energy, velocity, and period. The magnitude of the average retarding force on
squeak

Homework Statement

Compute the speed and the period of a 240 kg satellite in an approximately circular orbit 610 km above the surface of Earth. The radius and mass of Earth are RE = 6400 km and ME = 6.0 × 1024 kg respectively. [5 marks]

Suppose the satellite loses mechanical energy at the average rate of 1.7 × 105 J per orbital revolution. Adopting the reasonable approximation that the satellite’s orbit becomes a circle of slowly diminishing radius, determine the satellites altitude, speed and period at the end of its 1500th revolution. What is the magnitude of the average retarding force on the satellite? [8 marks]

Homework Equations

U = -GMm/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm happy with how to do the first part of the question.
However the second part I'm struggling with.
I have ΔE = 1.7 x 105 x 1500
I then think that the energy of the satellite initially = U = GMm/r+h where h is distance from Earth surface
energy final = GMm/r + hf. This is where I have a problem as the worked solution I have been given states that Einitial = -½ GMm/r+h.
Can anyone explain why its multiplied by half?

Physics news on Phys.org
squeak said:
Can anyone explain why its multiplied by half?
The total energy comprises both the kinetic and potential energy of the object in orbit.

Suppose you let ##\mu = G M##, and let R be radius of the orbit. m is the mass of the orbiting object. Then the total specific mechanical energy is:

##ξ = \frac{v^2}{2} - \frac{μ}{r}##

Note: Multiply the specific mechanical energy by the mass m of the body to get the total mechanical energy in joules.

But the velocity of a body in circular orbit is given by ##v = \sqrt{\frac{μ}{R}}##. Make the substitution for v in the specific mechanical energy formula.

gneill said:
The total energy comprises both the kinetic and potential energy of the object in orbit.

Suppose you let ##\mu = G M##, and let R be radius of the orbit. m is the mass of the orbiting object. Then the total specific mechanical energy is:

##ξ = \frac{v^2}{2} - \frac{μ}{r}##

Note: Multiply the specific mechanical energy by the mass m of the body to get the total mechanical energy in joules.

But the velocity of a body in circular orbit is given by ##v = \sqrt{\frac{μ}{R}}##. Make the substitution for v in the specific mechanical energy formula.
Thank you so much. That all makes sense now.

1. How is the speed of a satellite calculated?

The speed of a satellite is calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where v is the speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet or object being orbited, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the planet or object.

2. What factors affect the speed of a satellite?

The speed of a satellite is affected by its altitude, the mass of the planet or object it is orbiting, and the distance between the satellite and the center of the planet or object. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the satellite's orbit can also impact its speed.

3. How is the period of a satellite's orbit calculated?

The period of a satellite's orbit is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(r³/GM), where T is the period, r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the planet or object, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the planet or object being orbited.

4. Can a satellite's altitude be changed?

Yes, a satellite's altitude can be changed by using thrusters or other propulsion systems. However, this requires careful planning and precise calculations to ensure that the satellite remains in a stable orbit.

5. How does altitude affect a satellite's orbit?

The altitude of a satellite affects its orbit in several ways. A higher altitude results in a longer period of orbit, while a lower altitude results in a shorter period. Additionally, a higher altitude can also result in a slower orbital speed, while a lower altitude can result in a faster orbital speed. The altitude also determines the shape and orientation of the satellite's orbit.