Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Orbits and Potential Energy

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    Hi!

I really don't even understand what this problem is talking about! If someone could just point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

A satellite is placed in a noncircular orbit about the Earth. The farthest point of its orbit (apogee ) is 4 Earth radii from the center of the Earth, while its nearest point (perigee ) is 2 Earth radii from the Earth's center. If we define the gravitational potential energy U to be zero for an infinite separation of Earth and satellite, find the ratio U perigee/U apogee .

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first sentence doesn't sound good. I mean are any words or concepts unclear in the problem's text...?

Daniel.

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Start by looking up (or, better yet, deriving) the general expression for gravitational potential energy, which comes from Newton's law of gravity. Hint: U depends on the masses and the distance from the center of the earth.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook