Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbits of the Lorentz group

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    I want to determine the orbits of the proper orthochronous Lorentz group [itex] SO^{+}(1,3) [/itex].

If I start with a time-like four-momentum [itex] p = (m, 0, 0, 0) [/itex]

with positive time-component [itex]p^{0} = m > 0 [/itex],

the orbit of [itex] SO^{+}(1,3) [/itex] in [itex] p [/itex] is given by:

[tex] \mathcal{O}(p) \equiv \lbrace \Lambda p \mid \Lambda \in SO^{+}(1,3) \rbrace [/tex]

Now the point is: how do you show that

[tex] \mathcal{O}(p) = \lbrace q \mid q^{2} = m^{2}, q^{0} > 0 \rbrace [/tex] ?

Essently, the question is: why does a Lorentz transformation [itex] \Lambda \in SO^{+}(1,3) [/itex] exist
    such that two four-vectors [itex] p [/itex] and [itex] q [/itex] with [itex] p^{2} = q^{2} = m^{2} [/itex] and [itex] p^{0}, q^{0} > 0 [/itex] are related via [itex] q = \Lambda p [/itex] ?

In fact, it is possible to answer my question(s) by brute-force calculations. But I am searching for an "elegant way", e.g. with the help of group theory.

I already searched in the literature, but in most cases it seems to be "trivial" for the authors
    and I see now explicit proof.

Does anyone know of anything like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2
    Isn't that the very definition of the group SO+(1,3)?

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I agree with the above. It's trivial according to those authors because it's the definition.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4
    No, it is not the definition of [itex] \mathrm{SO}^{+}(1,3) [/itex]. It is:

[tex] \mathrm{SO}^{+}(1,3) = \lbrace \Lambda \in \mathrm{GL}(4, \mathbb{R}) \mid \Lambda^{t} \eta \Lambda = \eta, \mathrm{det} \, \Lambda = 1, \Lambda^{0} \, _{0} \geq 1 \rbrace [/tex]
    The elements of this group will not change [itex] p^{2} [/itex] and the sign of [itex] p^{0} [/itex] by definition.

So we can say that the set
    [tex] \lbrace q \in \mathbb{M} \mid q^{2} = m^{2}, q^{0} > 0 \rbrace [/tex] remains invariant under Lorentz transformations.

But this does not necessarily mean that for any two fourvectors [itex]p, q [/itex] with [itex]p^{2} = q^{2} = m^{2}[/itex] and [itex] p^{0}, q^{0} [/itex] there exists a transformation [itex] \Lambda \in \mathrm{SO}^{+}(1,3) [/itex] with [itex] q = \Lambda p [/itex]. In other words this would mean that [itex] \mathrm{SO}^{+}(1,3) [/itex] acts transitivly on [itex] \lbrace q \in \mathbb{M} \mid q^{2} = m^{2}, q^{0} > 0 \rbrace [/itex]. And you need to show this in order to proof that
    [tex] \mathcal{O}_{p} = \lbrace q \in \mathbb{M} \mid q^{2} = m^{2}, q^{0} > 0 \rbrace [/tex]

Actually I also don't see how to do this without using brute force. I think it is not that trivial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook